Thread: Protecting Bed Ways from Oak

Protecting Bed Ways from Oak

Aside from waxing the bed ways, what are people using to protect the ways from the effects of oak? Thanks.

I just put a piece of plastic sheeting on the ways. I also do this when using a finish that might drip on them.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Nothing. I don't protect my ways from oak, cherry, or wet, green wood. I just wipe it down as best as I can. Both lathes I have owned seem to have developed enough patina that they become resistant to rust and staining naturally. This has happened to some Hock knives I own also. They flash rusted when I first owned them. That no longer happens provided I wipe down relatively quickly after washing.

This is a "finish" gun nuts all love. Called slow rusting--it was the thing used on pensylvanisa? rifles. Shallow rust rubbed down with oil and years.

I spray it with WD-40 and wipe it down. Then do it again really frequently during the day. At the end of the day if I seen any rust starting I use 4/0 steel wool along with the WD-40.

Yep browning a gun barrel is barely enough oxidation to turn the steel brown. When wiped regularly with oil or wax it looks as shiny and is as durable as blueing a gun barrel.

I have tried almost everything. I am currently using a spray product called WD-40 Drylube. You polish up the ways and then spray on the protectant. Seems to work ok. I'll probably get a can of something else to try when this runs out. Still searching for the holy grail...

I turn a lot of oak, both dry and wet. While I had lathes with cast iron ways, I simply wiped things off. I had no problem with rust. Slight darkening -- patina -- protected the surface from further effects. Why do the ways have to shine? The ways on my current lathe do shine, but they are stainless steel.

After my first experience I decided the best protection was not turning wet oak at all. I'm lucky that I have and am given sooo much wood that I can pick and choose!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    After my first experience I decided the best protection was not turning wet oak at all. I'm lucky that I have and am given sooo much wood that I can pick and choose!
    Living in Kentucky I have a great abundance and variety of native hardwoods to turn. I turn oak BY CHOICE, not necessity. I also use lots of ash, maple, and cherry.