Thread: Corel 2017 not saving DXF?

Corel 2017 not saving DXF?

Things worked fine yesterday. Today I began work on a new file in Corel Draw, saved it, then saved as dxf file for RD Works and got an error msg. After about some time I googled the problem without success(?) so hoping maybe someone else has run into this? From RD Works I can go to "pictures" and import and Corel acts like it's saving to dxf. RD works will even try to pull up the file name BUT it says "nothing is there". I'm about ready to delete the both programs and reinstall? Any wisdom to share with me? Of course yesterday was a good day and I engrave both tile and acrylic for the first time....and I was fairly pleased. One step forward and one back I guess.

I found 3 things:

1.Corel's DXF export did not always work well for me - for reasons I cannot fathom. Every so often -like 1 in 8 or 10, it would omit parts of the file. However, after buying E-cut plug-ins and instaling them, the E-cut's "DXF Export" option was faultless. I needed DXF for the Goldenlaser we use - it has hissyfits if I try and import an AI file.

2. For RD Works, I've found saving from Corel to an AI file worked perfectly. I usually use Illy version 3 as the selected file option.

3. Installing the plug-in for RDW into Corel means whatever is in Corel, and is selected, gets automatically opened up in RDW after you have clicked the RDW plug-in on the Corel toolbar/menubar. It takes a bit to install it properly, but it's worked fine for me.
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 09-19-2018 at 2:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I use X3 and X4, I like how they work and see no reason to upgrade from there.

That said, I can't recall ever having trouble exporting to DXF or EPS or PLT when all things are right with the world. The only times I HAVE had trouble, it was because something was amiss in the Object Manager; if ANY object whatsoever you're trying to export or send out to print is part of an object group that's set as hidden, not-printable, locked for editing or any combination thereof, exporting or printing may not go as expected. Usually this happens when I'm using customer files, and sometimes some text or a few lines in the drawing end up in a layer it shouldn't be in that's unprintable. Example, I don't think I've ever received a customer DXF containing defpoints that had ONLY defpoints in the layer...

The only other exporting issues I've had are usually my fault, like putting the files in the wrong folder
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday evening I took another shot at it and.............everything worked fine until it didn't At that point the laser would not power up! I have a power conditioner which indicates everything is fine so this morning I'll dig out the manual and see if there's a breaker inside the laser which could have tripped. If not then I'll be giving Rabbit USA a call. At least they have support so I'm still not "alarmed"....not yet anyway

I spoke to Carole at Rabbit USA and she was very helpful. She identified the 3 most likely problems. I checked them out without success. I finally worked my way back and found the power input which also contains a fuse.....which was not blown......had a bad solder joint. I took a picture and Carole said 'we'd have never thought of that, the fuse should have blown first"..............New part is on the way....thank you Rabbit!

Blog Entries
    Plug in for RDworks. works like a champ. I DO use DXF for ezcad and have had some issues. Just stupid software.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I'd never hear of that John, will check it out. Thanks to all!

Was just reading thru Ian's post above, about pieces missing when exporting...Sometimes Corel warns you when you're about to export or print something from non-printable layers, but not always, and the warnings are optional, they can be turned off or on in the options menu...

One little trick that usually works for me when I'm having issues with a customer-supplied DXF, is to simply group what I'm working on, copy it, then open a new window and paste it in there. In the new window what you see is what you'll get, because pasting in a new window combines everything into one simple layer, and if something in the original was "not printable"- which also means not exportable, it WILL BE printable/exportable in the new pasted version...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well something is weird(: I exported a file from Corel 2017 to RD Works 8 late last week and engraved. Today I tried to open the same file in RD Works and get nothing......Went back to Corel and it's still there, saved again, and again with same results. Guess it's time for Youtube. I knew this wouldn't be easy but didn't know it would change from day to day. Or may I'M changing..........scary thought(:

I guess I'm still learning....THANK GOODNESS...today I experienced the same problem. It turned out that the bit map I imported was to large for Corel. Once i downsize then RD Works did not have an issue....Hmmmm