Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Framing nailer

Question Framing nailer

I'm looking to buy my first framing nailer. I and my nephew will be sharing it to use in projects like shed building and framing projects in his house. There are a ton of different framing nailers out there in a wide variety of price ranges. What should I be looking for in making my selection, and which ones do you guys suggest? I don't want to buy some cheapy Chinese offbrand that will be thrown out in a year or less. I'm not afraid to spend a bit on a quality tool that will last. And what are the advantages or differences between a pneumatic one and a cordless? I can go either way, not sure which would be better. Looking to buy fairly soon.

Laurie,
    I have had a Bostich framing nailer for several years for home projects. It has the 28 degree magazine. I find it works well and I am very happy with it.

I just checked your local Craigslist, and there is a Paslode on there for $75 with nails, but it doesn't say how many nails. Senco is my favorite brand, but any of the major names should be okay. Check to see what nails are available locally. The angled nails come in a bunch of different angles for different manufacturers, and you need the right angled nails for whatever nailer you get.

The pneumatic ones are a lot faster, which only matters for nailing on sheathing, and subflooring.

It depends on your budget or what you are willing to spend. If you want to buy a framing nailer once and only once, I would get a Hitachi NR83 A3, they are well built tanks. Most framers around me use it and we have a few in our remodeling company. We also have a few Porter Cable framers that aren't bad if you do not want top quality but still a good value. I would imagine most of the guns in the $200-$250 are similar to the porter cable.

The Hitachi should last a lifetime and then some, the porter cable might depending on use but may also crap out after heavy usage. In either case I would by air powered. The gas powered Paslodes have their place but not as your only framing nailer. The gas fired units also require a charged battery and way more maintenance/cleaning.

Oil the air powered with each use, just a few drops, and if it's stored for a long time put a cap over the air-fitting.

I have had a porter cable framing nailer for years and it has performed well and did not break the bank.

Sounds like I do what you plan to. If you are not a pro no need to buy top shelf. BUT always best to buy as much quality as you can afford. That being said, the porter cable has always done what I needed.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

If you plan on using the framing nailer on any work that will be subject to inspection, you really need to ascertain local requirements relative to "full head" vs "clipped head" before you plunk down your money. There are many jurisdictions that do not permit "clipped head" fasteners. If it's just incidental work then it really doesn't matter, but it may still pay to adhere to this kind of thing "just in case".

I have an older Senco framing nailer which was not "top of the line". It does a fine job for what I ask of it which is only very occasionally. I bought it because my wrists can't handle using a regular hammer and there are some times when using construction grade screws requires too many hands...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used a Porter Cable model FR350B (IIRC) for many years with no problems. I am not a house framer by trade but I have used it on several Habitat for Humanity houses. I agree with Jim about the clipped head nailers.

Whoops! That's not my local Craigslist any more, I've moved to Ohio. I will update my profile. Where I live we don't have a local Craigslist, I'm kind of in a blank area between PA, WV, and the major cities of OH.

Blog Entries
    A framing nailer is a large, powerful tool. Be careful.

For a no-frills framing nailer, it is hard to beat the Hitachi nailers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If you are not experienced with framing nailers you should know that they are very powerful tools. Get one that can be adjusted between single shot and bounce. Builders like bounce because it is faster, but is infinitely more dangerous. Single shot is definitely the way to go for casual users.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Be aware of the maximum length nail that any particular one takes. Most are either 3-1/4", or 3-1/2". One that will shoot a 3-1/2" nail will shoot a 3-1/4, but not the other way around. I have two Senco's, and a Dewalt. The Dewalt if lightweight, which is nice until I need to shoot long nails into hard woods. I still call on the heavy old Senco, that I bought new in 1974, when I need to shoot long nails into hard stuff.

Full time carpenter here. My nailers are Paslode,where I live their nails are available everywhere. They last forever and have a good balance that just works well. Look in a pawn shop ,rebuild kits are about $30 and there is not much inside of them that can go wrong. Good luck,Mike.

If you don't want to go the HF route then I would go Hitachi. My friend has a Hitachi and it has been going strong since 2009. You can buy a recon and save some money. I have a recon Hitachi 15ga that has never skipped a beat.

I have a Bostich F21PL, which has the advantage of two nose pieces. You can switch from standard round head 3 1/2" framing nails to the shorter 1 1/2" nails, and with the positive placement head, can shoot nails into metal connectors, such as joist hangers. It's under $200 at Amazon, and I think they've got one in the warehouse that's a customer return for about $166.