Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Framing nailer

For a handicap ramp build, I bought a HF 3n1 nailer. It performed flawlessly, but was HEAVY,and BIG. Ramp was 90' long, and 6' wide. Last winter Lowes put the Hitachis on sale for $149, so I jumped on it. Hitachi is half the weight of the HF gun.

One other important factor for framing guns...they generally require more air than the smaller pneumatics which means that it's best to have a beefier compressor unless you want to do a bit of waiting from time to time and also have a larger diameter hose. A 1/4" hose doesn't perform as well with a framing gun as a larger diameter hose does.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with Jim's assessment, based on my experience with a Porter Cable "pancake" air compressor. If a person is using a framing nailer at the rate of a normal do-it-yourselfer, then a small compressor will keep up just fine. Of course it will cycle every once in a while but that is just normal. You don't have to wait for it to cycle on and off. The reason i know this is I have used mine on several Habitat of Humanity houses and so have other people I know. The same is true of roofing nailers.

The cost is in the nails . A coil gun means you are stuck buying boxes of coils .Though I love coil guns .shorter ,easy to get into small spaces and best of all your not running back and forth for nails so often . You can buy small boxes of strip nails at supply houses . I have had a few brands and have had junkers or troubles with them all . The only times I have had air leakage/seal problems with them is seemly when they have been stored . Dought OP will need the 3 1/2" compacity based on that I have boxes of the common 3 1/2" that I do not know where to use .
    I would want to know if Op has a favorite cordless line .Maybe cordless is smarter .
    I would want to know if OP has a compressor to run it . Framing guns suck alot of air .
    Anyhow cost in the nails ,I have boxes of different nails , galv ,.148 shank and .113 shank . ring or smooth etc .Just bought another box for siding -80$ .
    Why does OP need the best built one if only going to use once a year to shoot 100 nails or less .Just a thought .

Pro Tool Reviews posted a review of a new model Paslode this morning. I think they did a head to head comparison of framing nailers a while ago, can't remember for sure. You can also enter for a chance to win a "free" Hitachi framing nailer. There you go, your problems are solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The same is true of roofing nailers.
    While I agree a pancake can more or less keep up with a framing gun in the hands of an average DIYer you have to be a pretty slow DIYer nailing shingles (especially 6 nail) for a pancake to keep up, that said asphalt shingles are one use I recommend against pneumatic.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Pro Tool Reviews posted a review of a new model Paslode this morning. I think they did a head to head comparison of framing nailers a while ago, can't remember for sure. You can also enter for a chance to win a "free" Hitachi framing nailer. There you go, your problems are solved.
    They did. I think the Milwaukee came out on top and the very inexpensive Estwing was 2nd or 3rd. The Hitachi they tested came in the middle of the pack but they just tested the cheaper one recently and it did better. While the test might point to buying the Estwing at the price and how well it did in the test buying a newer product compared to Hitachi, Senco or Paslode seems a little iffy. That said I don't know who makes the Estwing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Art, no question one can use a very modest compressor with a framing gun. My intention was to state that "more optimal performance" comes with a little more air and a more generous hose for these larger guns that have larger "innards" to charge with the air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Senco snIII and sn4 I used them for 20 some years without any down time The only things I replaced was a couple o rings and worn out drivers I used them on hundreds of houses.

When I was building new houses, I had a 5hp 2 stage in the step van. When sheathing a roof, the plywood was nailed down on one edge by hand, then lines snapped, and the rest bump nailed. On a good sized house, I'd have to wait for that compressor one time. For the rest of the framing, a small compressor would do fine, but there would often be some waiting involved.

I noticed several people saying they're still running the old Senco SN4. If yours is about as old as mine, the firing seal (big white one) may be due to split any time now. You can get them off ebay with free shipping. You have to heat it with a heat gun to get it on. There is no flange to take off for access. Mine is working again like new now. It still gets called on when the lightweights are not quite up to the job.

I have a 21deg Bostitch nailer that I'm happy with. It is a factory reconditioned model (I don't think it was ever used and was about 30% off) As others have mentioned, clipped heads aren't always allowed by code. My buddy bought a Dewalt clipped head and gets some form of full head that fits it, I'm sure they are more expensive. I don't like it. It's very uncomfortable. I think anything you buy would be fine, but I would make sure you like the way it feels full of nails when toe nailing over head. The degree makes a difference, as the clip can get in the way.

Stan

Estwing also makes an excellent cordless framing nailer. Back in the day we would've called it a hammer. Then there are the wonderful cordless screw drivers made by Klein and I still have, and occasionally use, a Diston cordless saw.

Thought you were messing with me for a minute there Van...I had to go back and find the review. That's what I'd do to rookies on the job site when they'd ask for a cordless something. It was great entertainment for the older guys. Simple minds, simple pleasures! But we had a lot of fun!

I am a experienced DIYer and have the Porter Cable. It has worked well for me. A cordless would be nice, especially when working on a ladder, but you pay for that convenience.

Two recommendations:

1. Oil the tool with every use--they are not joking about that part.

2. Forget about using the bump fire option. Unless you use it every day, you are just asking for trouble.