Thread: Alternatives to sizing tool?

Alternatives to sizing tool?

The Galbert Caliper is out of stock until next year.
    The only other tool that I can find is the Robert Sorby Sizing Tool for Tenons and Spindles.

I could swear that I've seen another tool that seemed like a combination of the two. It looked like the Sorby sizing tool but it had a dial on it to read the current size while you were cutting.

Do you know of any alternatives to those two tools?

I have one that is like the Robert Sorby tool, but I prefer to use a an open end wrench for sizing tenons. https://youtu.be/CEqroK7qIRY

I use the Igaging digital calipers.

outsidecaliper.jpg
    i
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I have used open end wrenches, but my Galbert caliper is much preferred. If and when you can order one they are worth the money for doing varied spindle work where there are multiple diameters and not room enough for a wrench.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I just use a set of dial calipers. It's worked fine for me for 30 years. I do have a whole bunch of outside dividers that I use when I'm doing multiples of something.

Tom, I have a bunch of calipers but for spindle turning for me nothing beats the cheap stamped stainless steel calipers that you can find hanging in the tool section at Home Depot. Except I bought a bunch from Amazon when they were about $3 each and had free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste.../dp/B0073LC04I

I never use them to measure but set them to the diameter I need with something else like a dial or digital caliper. For small diameters I usually set them with the shaft of a drill bit. The metal blades are just the right thickness to slip over the wood while cutting a groove with a parting tool held in the other hand. I might have several set to different diameters when working on one project. I keep some stuck to magnets within reach behind the lathe and more in a drawer a few steps away.

I do radius the points with a file then polish them so they aren't grabby.

Maybe you could get a couple to try until the fancy caliper is back in stock.

JKJ

I took a piece of 1/2" thick mahogany and cut a notch on one end (to gauge for a tenon), and cut a tab on the other end (to gauge for a recess). I use this to reset a pair of dead digital calipers to I can scribe the wood the same every time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.