Thread: Delta 14" Bandsaw help - 28-276

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta 14" Bandsaw help - 28-276

I purchased this bandsaw about 8 months ago from a guy for $150. The saw looks very nice and with a quick test it seemed to run out ok. However I have noticed that once it runs for about 20-30 seconds it develops a vibration that comes and goes bad enough that it has caused the upper door to pop open. I went ahead and balanced both upper and lower wheels. The upper was really far out of balance but it didn't really help the shaking. I looked down the side of the wheel as it was turning and there is quite a bit of runout in the upper wheel. I marked the location and checked and it appears that the saw has been tipped over at some point and the wheel and door hinge has been bent. I checked bearings, shafts, etc... and all appear to be perfectly fine.

I am struggling to find a wheel for it unless I want to pay $75 for a used wheel on eBay and take my chances. Are there any other wheels that will fit the saw? I am trying to hang onto it, but I'm afraid I'll have to cut my loss at some point and find another.

Try R&D Bandsaws, I bought a new replacement wheel from them for my 1970's 14" Rockwell (same as a Delta). They may have a new replacement wheel that will fit. Won't show up on the website but call or email Bob and he may be able to help you out.

How are the bearings on the wheel? I would pull the upper wheel and check the bearings fit to the shaft. Before pulling try to rock the wheel by grabbing opposite sides and pushing in with one hand out with the other. Do this at least four different places on the rim. There should be no movement.
    The tire is really what matters. can it be sanded down to be concentric with a bad wheel.
    Bill D

If you are sure the wheel is bad it can probably be straightened. Same idea as straightening a drill press quill. you will need a cheap dial indicator and a big c-clamp or maybe a bar clamp. Do not try to do this with a hammer.
    Bill D.

That is the saw that was sold by Lowes to compete with the Ridgid 1400. They both were prone to horrible vibrations. People often replaced half these saws before getting it to run more or less vibration free. Does it run with no vibration without a band, if so that helps isolate the issue to the upper wheel.

This isn't a saw I would spend a lot of time and money on, keep in mind when you get it running as it should what you have is a bandsaw that sold for $400 or so new.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How are the bearings on the wheel? I would pull the upper wheel and check the bearings fit to the shaft. Before pulling try to rock the wheel by grabbing opposite sides and pushing in with one hand out with the other. Do this at least four different places on the rim. There should be no movement.
    The tire is really what matters. can it be sanded down to be concentric with a bad wheel.
    Bill D
    I checked the bearings by attempting to rock the wheel and there was no movement. There's also no odd noises and it spins freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If you are sure the wheel is bad it can probably be straightened. Same idea as straightening a drill press quill. you will need a cheap dial indicator and a big c-clamp or maybe a bar clamp. Do not try to do this with a hammer.
    Bill D.
    If I can't get a wheel I'll definitely give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That is the saw that was sold by Lowes to compete with the Ridgid 1400. They both were prone to horrible vibrations. People often replaced half these saws before getting it to run more or less vibration free. Does it run with no vibration without a band, if so that helps isolate the issue to the upper wheel.

This isn't a saw I would spend a lot of time and money on, keep in mind when you get it running as it should what you have is a bandsaw that sold for $400 or so new.

Yep I've gone through those steps as well and without the band on there is no vibration in the saw. It only occurs when the band is on. I thought it might be the blade so I tried 2 others that I have and they were exactly the same. If you stand at the side of the saw and look across the wheel while running you can see the upper wheel oscillating in and out. Once i saw that the door hinge had been bent and the door knocked out of alignment I began to put two and two together.