Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Chisel Planes

Thoughts on Chisel Planes

I have found situations where I could use a plane that can go flush into corners. I can use chisels and have in the past but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with chisel planes, I think Lee Valley calls theirs a Trimming Plane.

Does anyone here have one and do you find you use it frequently? I'm sure there are other ways of getting the same thing accomplished but the chisel plane may end up coming in handy for me. Before I bought one, I thought I'd ask the group for their opinions on them.

Thanks

Mike

I always found just grabbing a sharp chisel and working bevel down, cleans corners the easiest. I have an LN chisel plane that gets very little use (and before anyone asks, I don't want to sell or trade it).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I've been using the Veritas flush plane ( http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182 ) for many years for everything from removing glue drops to dowel trimming and have lately started looking at the Trimming Plane you're referring to.

The advantages of the flush plane is no adjustments are needed, just sharpen and put it to work, doesn't matter what angle it's sharpened at or if it's skewed or convex. I've used it pretty hard with no ill-effects. What attracts me to the trimming plane is the added mass for heavy duty work and what i assume to be better handling in some situations, other than that i'm not seeing much improved functionality
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I've had several of them over the years but always end up selling or giving them away. They just don't fit my work preferences.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have their bullnose plane which I love but it is only an inch wide if width is important to your situation.

It's dual purpose use is a big plus for me. But yes- I use it often. Just set the blade depth at exactly zero and the corners come out perfect.

I had one for a while. I always just grabbed a chisel instead, so I sold it.

I keep seeing Stanley's version over on that auction site...guess I should go to Leach's B&G and read up on it. I just use a chisel.....

I tend to set the corner edges with a chisel and clean out the groove with a router plane.

Blog Entries
    I have a Veritas bull nose plane but still find I reach for a chisel for this work.

bull nose.JPG

I do have a very long paring chisel for hard to reach spots.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Question - I have never had the chance to pick up and/or try out a crank neck chisel. Do they work well or any better than a straight chisel for this situation? I too am kind of a bevel-down chisel user for corner access.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Question - I have never had the chance to pick up and/or try out a crank neck chisel. Do they work well or any better than a straight chisel for this situation? I too am kind of a bevel-down chisel user for corner access.
    Some planes, no matter who makes them or how they are marketed or promoted, will never be found in my shop, and the chisel plane is one of them. Some people may swear it is critical for their work, not for me.

As others have pointed out, the chisel does the job that a chisel plane can and can't.

Crank neck chisels on the other hand are used by me in most projects for removing glue squeeze out. Wait after about 20 to 30 minutes, then un-clamp (if the clamps get in the way) and remove the rubbery glue with the crank neck chisel. It can handle a glue line on a board that is 7 feet long, 10 feet long and what have you. Of course, a crank neck chisel can reach a tight corner, etc. with ease.

Simon

In addition to my Veritas bullnose plane, I also have 3 Buck Bro's crank neck chisels. They could absolutely be used in this situation.

There are so many different situations. If I'm cleaning up a stopped dado that won't show, I would absolutely grab a chisel, bevel down regular or bevel up crank neck. More than likely just a regular chisel. If I'm cleaning up a recessed corner that is going to show, I want to finish with my bullnose, carefully set to zero. But I also know I could also use a regular chisel or a crank neck in any situation.

Tools are fun!

Didn't even think about the crank neck chisels. Seems to me they do exactly the same thing as the chisel plane. Flat base with a leading cutting edge. They also look to be a little more versatile. Thanks for all the input from everyone. As always, extremely helpful.

Other options include a skew chisel or my favorite, a fishtail chisel. Honestly, there's nothing a great set of 4-5 regular bench chisels can't handle, though.

Might be easier to use than the Stanley No. 97?