Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Half-Blind Angled Dovetails

Yes, I'm using a knife but the line was still hard to see. I rubbed sawdust over it to highlight it and that helped but unfortunately I think the big problem is the eyes. They aren't so good up close anymore.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, you are a candidate for the blue tape method. My 68-year old eyes are not what they used to be. So I began using blue tape to outline the dovetails several years ago. It works amazingly well! Good lighting is another important ingredient.

A recent article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...hBlueTape.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm right behind you in age, Derek. And far-sighted to boot. My near-sighted friends can't understand why I can't see up close as well as them. But then I ask them why they can't see that road sign way up ahead.

I've got the next tail taped, marked and tape removed in waste areas. I'm interested to see how this goes. Just have to make sure I don't cut into the tape!

Interesting so far... I followed the tape almost perfectly on the first cut.

On the second cut, with the saw on the right side of the tape, I strayed a bit. I need to learn how to saw left handed.

When I flipped it over, on the side that will be exposed, I saw this:

That little I strayed translated to much more on the flip side. I think I'll cut from this side. It may be easier to start on a more angled point but this is the side that will show.

Blog Entries
    A saw is more controllable than a chisel, at least from what I've seen of this wood so far in this exercise.
    A kerfing tool/chisel is used in the saw cut to bring it down to the base line. In a blind tail or socket, the saw can only cut part of the way. The kerf tool/chisel/piece of old saw blade or whatever finishes the cut.

Do not put a bevel on the kerfing tool. You may want to used clamps on woods prone to split.

It may be easier to start on a more angled point but this is the side that will show.
    Interesting situation, with western (push) saws my joinery cuts are always made from the show side so the saw chipping of the edges is less likely to be seen. Maybe this isn't as much of a tendency with a pull saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Saw from the show side.

With drawer fronts, the show side is outside. With drawer backs, the show side is inside.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Julie, we all, at one time or another, have cut dovetails that are less than perfect. Shim them, keep taking tips from the talented forum members, and keep sawing & move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Julie, we all, at one time or another, have cut dovetails that are less than perfect.
    But you have the advantage of knowing things are repairable. All I ever see is perfection. Except for recently.

What I haven't seen yet is dovetails on wood as thick as what I'm working on, except maybe in timber frame construction. I'm learning the importance of having everything perfectly square. I should be happy I'm not trying something like this:

Wow!! When I grow up I want to be able to saw like Theo Cook! I have to confess that I have cut dovetails looser than yours, shimmed them to look perfect, people have ooohed & ahhed, & the piece is solid for years.

I have a hard time leaving the line when using a knife. I'm so used to using sharp no. 4 pencils (old Mikado, and Mirado's specifically), that I get better results off the saw with them. The line is taken off whichever part is cut first, just to get rid of it, and left on the second part cut, because you have to leave the line if you want tight joints.

Blog Entries
    You can saw from both sides, or the show side. On critical stuff I certainly saw from both sides.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Got the second tail done. This one looks better. I removed a lot of the waste with forstner bits. What a time saver. And the blue tape worked great!

Then got the second pin taped, marked and waste exposed. I was so anxious to remove waste I took the piece to the drill press before sawing. Then I looked at it on the workbench and wondered how I was going to chisel to the lines. Brain you-know-what. Thankfully, I didn't drill into the saw lines. The woodpecker tooth got pretty deep into the cut. I think this one will go a lot faster then the other one.

There's a 700# baby sitting in the garage crying for me now. I may not get any more dovetailing done today.

Hi Julie

Your work looks excellent - clean and tidy. Nice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you, Derek. And thanks again for the blue tape tip. I was getting so frustrated trying to see the lines on the first one, I was thinking of abandoning it. I even took out the D4 to see if I could figure out a way to make that work. But the blue tape saved the day. Thumbs up!

Hi Jim,

How have you sharpen your kerf chisel saw? Like a standard chisel with one side flat or is the edge right in the middle of the blade thickness.

Same question for Derek.

Thanks.