Thread: Best hand sander for round overs?

Best hand sander for round overs?

Doing a lot of cutting boards and the like and my current ridgid orbital and 16gal ridgid shopvac with 2 1/4” attached to it are wearing my arm and wrist out. Is there a better sander for this type of edging to smooth these edges after they go through the router table roundover bit?

p3008964864-3.jpg

p3073239554-3.jpg

Greg,
    About 6 or 7 years ago I drank the green kool aid and have been very pleased, not only with their sanders' performance but the ergonomics. I literally can sand all day and without pain (BTW- I'm turning 70 in a month and have relatively normal/weak hand strength). For your cutting boards I would suggest either the ETS 125 or their Linear Sander (don't know its number) with garnet paper.
    Just my opinion - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Greg,
    About 6 or 7 years ago I drank the green kool aid and have been very pleased, not only with their sanders' performance but the ergonomics. I literally can sand all day and without pain (BTW- I'm turning 70 in a month and have relatively normal/weak hand strength). For your cutting boards I would suggest either the ETS 125 or their Linear Sander (don't know its number) with garnet paper.
    Just my opinion - Bill
    Thanks. I’ll look at that model. I like their sanding table with the whip that holds the hose overhead but I’m guessing it’s probably 2 bills for that table, dust extractor and sander.

Do they only work with festool paper? I don’t have a festool dealer local so that is a consideration.

Greg, what kind of wood is that bottom stripe on the second picture ?

The bottom board is Bocote, Maple, Jatoba and Purple Heart. The Jatoba was pretty golden, yellow looking on this board versus the pinkish color of the rest I have. The ribbon is burned in.

p3073243001-4.jpg

The Festool is the LS 130

se_ls130_567750_a_06a.jpg

Alternatively, you could look at foam pad abrasives

Sanding-System-Main-Page3.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Another vote for the ETS 125, and no, you don't have to use Festool paper. I regularly use Abranet discs on mine. Maybe not available locally for you, but Amazon is your friend.

I usually chamfer the corners first with a block plane, then use a cork block with sand paper to complete the round over. Fast and simple.

The festool linear sander is slower than molasses. It works great if you really need to maintain a profile shape, but I cannot imagine a need to hold an exact radii for a cutting board. A profile head on a shaper that can be dialed down slow enough would be nice, but you would need a whack of volume.

my dynabrade does that easiy. Nitto makes one with a block you can shape as well I dont see it, i Have a light line on the dynbrade you can flip it around likely nothing, its very light no line weight hanging off it.

I’ll second the dynabrade. Very light and having the palm switch puts your hand in a good position for rounding over
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

there are different models one on the right the lighter one i use more on round overs then the line is lighter as well. you can fling it all over. My original Dynabrades felt as heavy as a 50 year old Skill Saw

Capture.JPG

Hi Greg
    I also do a good deal of rounding over with a router followed by ROS. I do it without connecting dust collection to avoid stress and mostly to let me control the sander better, especially on the corners. Sometimes I set up a dust pickup and sometimes a dust mask. Sometimes I just turn on the overhead air cleaner and sometimes I just limit the time I spend in the shop after sanding.

Altogether it is not a very satisfactory solution. Hope we get some better answers.

BTW, I have two sanders, one with coarse and one with fine paper. This is way better than switching paper.

Sanding roundovers is a shortcut to carpal tunnel issues ...just ask my wrists.

Blog Entries
    Have you considered changing your router cutters? I have a Freud Quadracut round over bit and it cuts extremely smooth cuts that need little if any sanding.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute