Thread: Harbor Fright air compressor?

Harbor Fright air compressor?

Hello All,

I've bought a few things from Harbor Freight over the years, but never anything over $50 or so. So far so good, and drill sets have been particularly good. I'm taking the plunge, and buying a wide belt sander that needs more CFM than my little one horse Sears can deliver. It will get relatively light usage, and the Harbor Freight unit that will deliver enough air is $119. Anybody have any experience with such like equipment from them?

Cheers,

Brian Burns

Blog Entries
    I have a son-in-law that buys Harbor Freight tools. He doesn't use them as strenuously as I do, so I don't know if they are good.

I think you are referring to the 8 gallon one. I've had one for years but it's mostly for the car tires. Got tired of paying the gas station machines for water!

Is this just the cast iron pump for that money. Those are pretty simple and hard to screw up if the rings are any good. If this is a complete tank, motor and pump for 120 it will not last long.

Brian,
    I had one for years. The trick is to also buy the extended warranty for $19. Then if it goes south within 2 years just take it back and they'll give you a new one. Then buy the extended warranty for that one. You can keep this up for a long time. I replaced 2 that way. It was like getting a new compressor every 2 years for only $19. The last one held up long enough I gave it to my son in law.

The compressor is noisy, but any compressor at that price point is noisy. Other than that it worked fine.

Cliff

In addition to CFM, you have to consider run time expectations. If the air needs to be supplied constantly, then a small compressor that's designed more for intermittent use might not be very satisfying. You probably should have a discussion with your wide belt sander vendor to get clarification about what the air demands "really" are.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another option is to buy a used oil lubed compressor off CL.

Why would a wide belt sander need much air. I thought they have a few air cylinders to tighten the belt. unless they are leaking a small compressor should keep up? maybe add a tank inline to the sander.
    I would consider a ring and valve job for you exisiting compressor. At least pull the head and check the valves for rust which can be sanded off.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.

No experience with compressors, but the few Central Pneumatics air tools I've purchased I would rate as "OK for occasional use" and a few were frankly POJ's.

I would get double the listed CFM requirement for the sander simply because I wouldn't trust it.

And definitely get their replacement warranty.

I limit my HF purchases to 1 time or occasional use, non-critical applications.

The two best things I have bought from them:

1. T-post puller--basically a lever
    2. Knock off "Stanley" small part organizers

Sanders with pneumatic tracking need lots of air, those with electric eye need a little. I can run mine with a used dental compressor. They are oil filled, and are quiet. Dave

I have a small 1 cylinder compressor which works fine for my shop. I have the Grizzly open end sander and it works fine. Also works fine for nail guns and such. It is a little slow for running my tire machine, but I get by. Had to go check, but my air compressor is a PUMA, and it has been in the shop since I set it up in 04.