Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary Gavel and Block

Contemporary Gavel and Block

I've been asked to turn a "simple, unique, and contemporary" gavel and block for a local municipality. Other than wanting it from local and preferably recycled hardwood, they've left the design up to me. I've never turned a gavel so I've been searching around for images and ideas but haven't come up with much so far. Any suggestions?

Here is a photo of mine. I made the handle a little different than normal because the guy who is getting it is very large. You can do a google search for "images of Gavel's and you will find a gazillion designs. The brass was really hard to do. I had to get it to wrap around the head and then the 2 holes in the brass to match up. Not easy. I finally started wrapping string around it until I pulled it together enough. The I wrapped string around the outer edges of the brass on both sides and cut away the original string. Then I had to carefully pry it toward the wood hole. Once that worked I was able to screw in the handle. I threaded this gavel. I don't always do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnC Lucas; 09-17-2018 at 1:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mills View Post
    I've been asked to turn a "simple, unique, and contemporary" gavel and block for a local municipality. Other than wanting it from local and preferably recycled hardwood, they've left the design up to me. I've never turned a gavel so I've been searching around for images and ideas but haven't come up with much so far. Any suggestions?
    I've made several. Here are a couple. I like to thread the handles so they won't loosen with exuberant pounding. I also like to make the whole thing from the same chuck to make sure the wood matches nicely.

gavels.jpg

Also, some links to gavel instructions:
    https://www.woodturningonline.com/projects.php?catid=40

JKJ

Both fine examples there and both traditional and different. I think the best way to satisfy the the contemporary requirement is to stay with a nice proven form such as the pics, but use a light color wood.

Here is one I did for a local judge of curly maple treated with aqua fortis. Having spent a lifetime in the courtroom, the designs shown by John and John are very common styles, as is this one. I do agree with Mel that a lighter wood would help with the contemporary thing, but I think one would need to deviate from classic/common styles and not do as much in the way of detailing. Perhaps smooth, long, flowing curves, and on the head I would do a somewhat modified hourglass - not a thin waist, but something to differentiate it from classic style.

I would suggest you glue the handle - much more stable in use. I have seen judges (actually the bailiff!) have to fiddle with heads wanting to unscrew as many of the commercially available ones are threaded. Also, drill your hole before turning the head.

Just my thoughts.

GAVEL HR.jpg

Left click my name for homepage link.

Here are a few of mine, the customer wanted something a little off from the normal styles. They're definitely the conversation starters that he was looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made one for a carpenter's union a few decades ago, sorry no pictures. But it looked like a hammer with an exagerated claw hammer head. Actually I made several, it seems that the members like it so much several ordered one for themselves.

Thread AND glue

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I would suggest you glue the handle - much more stable in use. I have seen judges (actually the bailiff!) have to fiddle with heads wanting to unscrew as many of the commercially available ones are threaded.
    I agree. I forgot to mention that I thread the handle and also glue the threads in. I learned this technique from a gavel maker who occasionally had problems with handles coming loose after seasons of humidity change and pounding. He said the screwed and glued gavels never loosened.

JKJ

I glued mine also. I had things like that come unscrewed. My good friend who makes mallets, not just gavels always puts a brass pin through the side into the handle. His never come off.

I couldn't have imagined that gavels would be such a popular item!

I keep one unglued to take apart just to show people the threads.

JKJ

Here is one from Oak Burl, heavy & loud.

3B8982DD-6104-4402-A6BF-092A517C9B78.jpg

13. I made one of these about a year ago. I used walnut, ebonized walnut, and a ceramic tile for an insert for the strike plate. Since I don't know how to post pictures, you can email me at mcosta22@midwestern.edu and I'll send you pictures of what I made and the plans I used. I was very pleased with the end result.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-20-2018 at 7:31 AM. Reason: attempt at correcting text

14. I went to edit my post because ebonized came out like something else and when I clicked edit it deleted. Grrr.

Michael, I restored your post. I don't remember if you can still edit it yourself this long after posting, so in case you can't I'll take a stab at editing it.