So I have a predicament I’ve gotten myself into with a large conference table. I’m in the process of redoing a 4x8 conference table. The table is melamine covered particle board that is 1 1/4” with another 3/4” to build the edges. The customer wanted to salvage the top and reuse it by putting a large vinyl decal over the top and using epoxy over that. No big deal. The issue is that after putting a straightedge on top, there is about a 3/8” bow in the center. The entire table is shaped like a bowl so I can’t shim it out when attaching the top to the base.

I’ve already put too much into the existing top to make a new one I think. I could use more epoxy on top but it would probably double the amount I need and the Ecopoxy is expensive to begin with on a budget build. And I don’t really want the decal to look like it’s in a lake. I’m thinking my best option is to fill the bowl with something before the decal goes on but I don’t know what to fill it with.

I could use a cheaper epoxy to level the table but it’ll all get covered by the decal and might be overkill. I was thinking a vinyl floor leveler might work but I’m afraid of it delaminating under the decal if the table is moved and the top flexes at all.

Any other ideas?