Thread: Construction question

Construction question

39FD68DF-BC0D-4822-8876-DFA718B492C7.jpgBuilding a country cherry hutch from Fine Woodworking (2006) by Martin Milkovits. For the upper part of the unit the sides of the hutch are joined to the stiles ( which form the face frame for the glass paned doors ). In the plans he makes a 1/4 inch groove in the stile which receives a 1/4 projection ( sort of a long stub tenon ). This projection from the side is created by making a rabbet in the side and leaving 1/4 inch remaining. Looks nice, but would a glue joint from the edge of the side to the face of the stile be just as strong? That would be long grain to long grain and it doesnt get any stronger. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 09-17-2018 at 9:58 AM.

I would guess that the reason is more for keeping the parts aligned while gluing.

The purpose is alignment. Doesn't add anything to strength although theoretically there is more glue surface, you are correct, long grain to long grain is as strong as it gets, even if a butt joint.

Personally, I've done it that way but used a T/G bit rather than a rabbet.

All said and done, I think in a production situation it can save some time.

From looking at the article, I would agree that it's mostly for alignment. I suppose you could eliminate the tongue or make it 1/4 in. long instead of 1/2 in. or use biscuits or dominoes instead.

Mark, Dave, Robert, thank you for your input. I am just going with a glued butt joint.

The whole "glue is stronger than the wood" is a relatively new technological development. Traditional furniture building would have had to take eventual glue failure into account.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    The whole "glue is stronger than the wood" is a relatively new technological development. Traditional furniture building would have had to take eventual glue failure into account.
    Good point Johnny.