Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help selecting a router table

Help selecting a router table

Hey everyone. This is my first post... I think. 10 years ago I bought a Freud FT1702VCEK router on clearance ($99) because as you all know, they stopped router production.

It's still new in the box and now I'm ready to start using it. I need help selecting a router table for it. Most tables don't list this as a compatible router, but that might not be true. It DOES come with a (9x12) aluminum insert plate and 2 reduction rings. I don't know if this plate can be used in place of a plate that comes with any old router table. Total noob here.

I'd like a decent quality table that doesn't break the bank. My main concern is that I don't want to outgrow the table in a year wishing I got something bigger or more versatile. Any suggestions?

I also would like to know if any lift kits would work on this. I don't want to be drilling a bunch of holes to make this work.

Thank you!

Honestly, the best router tables are the ones you build yourself because the can be exactly like you want them to be. It's a great shop woodworking project, too.

I didn't remember anything about that Freud router and its format...so I used Google to look it up. It appears to be similar to other routers of the same type. Just measure the diameter of the motor and that should help you determine lift compatibility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So many ways to go with a table. As Jim suggested, building your own lets you customize to your needs/shop. For me, I prefer a cast iron top with an insert. I installed an excalibur table saw add-on as my answer - better use of shop space, and it came with support legs. You can also buy full size iron tables and build your cabinet around it. Besides excalibur, Peachtree has them too. I use an incra/woodpecker lift system in mine. Pricey, but I like its fine and fast adjustment features. I also like the fence that came with the excalibur, as it easily re-positions to the same point. Pay attention to dust collection in your design. I think the Freud router will work fine in most lift systems.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 09-17-2018 at 7:49 AM.

I used one of those routers in a table for a little while. It includes features for mounting and adjusting the height of the bits without a lift. Unfortunately, I found out all too quickly why Freud quit making routers. The mechanics are not well designed. The router has been sitting unused in a drawer for many years. I hope you have better luck than I did.

It is not clear where you are, but my recommendation is to look on craigslist at what is available in your area. Every now and then I see a really great one pop up.

I do agree that making your own is ultimately the best. But before jumping into that project (given you havent used the router much so may not be a heavy user for a while yet), I say just 'get one' - any one within reason. Use it for a while and learn what you like and dont like. Then fold all that into your own design and make your own and sell the one you got on CL. Sometimes with patience you can even make a few $ in the process.

If you live near a Rockler or Woodcraft, take the router to the store and ask for help.

Welcome Michael. Glad you've joined us! Look forward to seeing what you build.

Hey, I don't want to be "Debbie Downer", but I want to pass on some advice an old craftsman once gave me about router tables. He said "Fred, there's a whole lotta guys out there with a $200 router in a $1000 router table."

I agree that a router can be a key tool in a guy's shop. But I found the old man's advice a useful sanity check on my spending plan. I ended up building a very simple table and fence 7-8 years back and spent some of the savings on good quality router bits instead. (I like Infinity or Freud Quadricuts.) I haven't outgrown this table yet. I used it just yesterday and the results were quite good.

Just something to think about......

Fred

Edit: No offense intended toward anyone. Just my personal thoughts on the matter. YMMV.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-17-2018 at 8:38 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I’m one of those noted above, but I feel that micro adjustability is the only reason why I even use a router table.
    So, if you make your own table, buy a good fence m.

Can’t disagree with the above advice. I just wanted a decent set up and didn’t want to take the time to build one. I bought one of the package deals Rockler advertises from time to time. Phenolic top, Incra lift, mobil stand. It works for me. Does need a playing card or two to square up the fence, but not a big deal. I think it was $700 or there abouts. I’ve been using it for about 4 years. They should be able to advise whether or not your router will work.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a follow up question and should that I should have asked before.

My router comes with a 9x12 insert plate. Is that the standard size for router tables? I've seen where plates are something like 8.75x11.5 (I don't remember exact dimensions). Example, a 2x4 is really 1.5x3.5. This may very well be the case with my plate. I could measure it but I would rather not open the box in case I decide to sell it.

And someday I would probably want to build my own table. But today isn't that day. I'm trying to reorganize my shop and just want to be done with it for now. Besides, I'm sure I would know what I would want to build after using it for a while.

I went with the Bench Dog router table that replaces the table saw wing from Rockler. Added their router lift and Porter Cable 3hp+ router motor. Could not be happier.

Hi Michael, the actual insert plate size on my Rockler table is ~11 3/4” x 8 3/8”...give or take a 1/16”.

I suspect the prejudice that a shop made table is better than any store-bought one refers to the ability to build a flat table and a lot of custom storage.

These features are not as critical to me as are a micro adjustable fence and a lift that makes bit changes easy and has precise depth setting. For these, there are plenty of good store-bought solutions.

I own the Incra positioner and lift. You'll be hardpressed to find a better fence. However, like all things Incra, their devices have a lot of nuts and screws to loosen during adjustment. It's not hard, just annoying until you get used to it. That being said, I wouldn't trade my Incra set up for anything. It is better than most fences for joint making, and for jointing panel edges.

Honestly, I would like to get a router bench top from rockler. However, I'm then forced to buy everything I need for it. Need a fence, featherboards, push sticks, miter track unit, and stand. I can't justify the cost of their stand.

I would like something ready to go and upgrade when necessary. So, with that said I think I've decided on a Bosch table top unit from home depot. Only $199. Since I can't figure out how to post a picture I'll post a link.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...a1181-27744-p/

This isn't that little closed model you see in stores. It would need to be ordered. If my router doesn't fit, maybe my plate will. If all else fails I can either get a Bosch router and sell the Freud or keep it as a bench top/plunge router. Or, since it's Home Depot... return it.

In the future it would be nice to have that cast iron table with Incra fence and a custom built stand that suits my needs. Until then, my wife would break my head if I spent up to $1000 on something I've never used. The whole having a $1000 table with a $200 router that Fred mentioned has been in my mind. I'd rather save the money and get a planer. The money saved will also justify my new added $100 electric bill from putting AC in my garage. =)

Michael, that Bosch unit will be fine to get started, but it's really small. Once your projects start to get more involved, you'll want to do a custom, shop-built unit that can handle larger workpieces safely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...