Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help selecting a router table

I used a benchtop unit like that for a few years until I built mine. It was OK-enough to begin with. Go for it!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I should have mentioned that I started out with a Craftsman table from Sears - similar size as the Bosch. Worked fine for small projects, and gave me a good understanding of what to look for when I was in the market to upgrade.

Agreed. That's a fairly inexpensive way to get introduced to what to expect from a table. If your router doesn't fit, hang on to it anyway. You're about to discover that a router collection is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    If your router doesn't fit, hang on to it anyway. You're about to discover that a router collection is a good thing.
    Uh-Oh. I think I would have waited to drop that truth bomb. This guy is just getting started. He doesn't know yet that he will eventually end up with at least a half dozen routers.

I see nothing wrong with a $1000 table/fence/lift and a $200 router. After all accuracy is almost entirely dependent on everything but the router. The router is just a motor that spins the bit. Of course, a good router does make a difference. But, even some of the best routers are under $400. Want precise depth? Need micro height adjust. Same with fence. And a good table not only ensures accuracy, but makes for safer cutting. That said, a table top model is not a bad way to start out with. If you are a serious woodworker, you'll eventually out grow it. I see nice tables on Craigslist all the time for very cheap.

I am not familiar with that specific model, but even if it had design flaws m, Freud could fix them and start selling improved models. Their decision to stop selling routers had to do with business models. I guess they found the whole enterprise which is out of their main product line not worth the extra effort.

Thanks everyone. Based on the last group of posts it seems going with a table top is the best option for me for now. I'll probably be here again in 6 months looking for a good stand design. But at $199 it's not that big a deal. What I regret is the money I spent on my Jet 12-20 lathe which I outgrew in a month. I need to start a go fund me for that beast made by Robust.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I see nothing wrong with a $1000 table/fence/lift and a $200 router. After all accuracy is almost entirely dependent on everything but the router. The router is just a motor that spins the bit. Of course, a good router does make a difference. But, even some of the best routers are under $400. Want precise depth? Need micro height adjust. Same with fence. And a good table not only ensures accuracy, but makes for safer cutting. That said, a table top model is not a bad way to start out with. If you are a serious woodworker, you'll eventually out grow it. I see nice tables on Craigslist all the time for very cheap.
    That's a fair point Tom. The need for a more expensive router table probably depends on what you are going to use it for. I use mine exclusively for shaping moldings. So I've never found a need for accuracy greater than my current setup provides, and I get more bang for the buck buying good quality bits. But I can see that if a guy is using it for complex joinery and such, the greater accuracy of a lift, etc could be crucial.

Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    Thanks everyone. Based on the last group of posts it seems going with a table top is the best option for me for now. I'll probably be here again in 6 months looking for a good stand design. But at $199 it's not that big a deal. What I regret is the money I spent on my Jet 12-20 lathe which I outgrew in a month. I need to start a go fund me for that beast made by Robust.
    Sounds like you may be headed down the same path with the router table. If you have an immediate need, a simple piece of plywood clamped to the bench with a milled piece of stock clamped on for a fence will get you through a project. Here's Bob Van Dyke's:

bob Van Dyke at the RT.JPG

Like you, I learned my lesson on an improper tool purchase. In my case it was my 6" jointer that was the expensive lesson. Once I sold it, I made do for a year and a half before I got my larger jointer. There are times when 'making do' until a "forever" tool can be purchased (or in the case of a router table, built) makes good sense.

I used a simple commercial lift, top and fence and built a base that made sense for me. I have items in the shop that I paid a premium for that are really nice for what they do. My router table is essentially an original Rockler which is quite basic. I have never needed more than it does for me in the almost 15 years I've had it.

My point is that you want to target your spending where it makes the most sense for you. Someone else may be hindered with anything less than the full Incra table and fence setup. For my needs, as long as the fence has split faces with t-slots and the table has a miter slot, I'm good.

P.s. Kowabunga has Rockler gotten proud of their stuff!!! I think I paid $80 for the table, fence and plate on clearance. I just checked and the same rig is now $270!?! Its been 15 years but, $270!?! My apologies; I'd build my own.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-20-2018 at 9:19 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would rather use a sheet of plywood and a straight board than one of those dinky little Borg tables. Their size, in my opinion renders them useless for anything but the smallest projects. Even a coffee table size top is just too unwieldy on such a small surface.

Blog Entries
    I have an extended saw table on my table saw. I can extend the rip guide to it's limit.
    I have a router set up that I can put in the extension. This allows using the rip guide
    along with the router

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would rather use a sheet of plywood and a straight board than one of those dinky little Borg tables. Their size, in my opinion renders them useless for anything but the smallest projects. Even a coffee table size top is just too unwieldy on such a small surface.
    I'd use the router freehand (not in the table) for a coffee table.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-20-2018 at 6:50 PM.

The Bosch unit is a reasonable way to start. But I agree completely with the suggestion to build yourself one. It will cost less and work better. I have never even used a router plate and I've built at least 4 router tables. I currently have two. I have a setup in my table saw extension wing that I use only if I need two. My main router table is free standing and has a home made lift that cost about $100 for the parts. It is a combination of Norm's from New Yankee Workshop (basic layout) an old American Woodworker article (lift) and others I do not remember. The top hinges up for bit changes and is made of a sink cutout surrounded by hardwood. Router is supported by the cabinet back where the lift is.

I learned through my previous router tables what I like and don't like.

I see no reason for a commercial router table. I do not believe they would work better than what I have. But it doesn't bother me even a little bit if others buy their router table.

You guys are killing me. Just when I thought I was out.... you pull me right back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    You guys are killing me. Just when I thought I was out.... you pull me right back in.
    Sorry Mike. Do yourself a favor and don't ask what chisels to buy.