Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving big machines around shop

Moving big machines around shop

What do you folks use when moving things around? I’ve got a big heavy drill press and I need to relocate it about 20 feet or so. I guess I could do the rocking “walk” but figured I could get a hand truck or something that would be easier and have other uses.

Just curious how others tackle this...

Moved a 50 gun safe a couple of years ago using some 1" pvc pipe as rollers. It was empty though.

Other than black pipe, another option is a Johnson bar and machinery skates.

Alao, engine hoist can be used.

This Has worked well for my equipment that isn’t on its own rolling base:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post

, engine hoist can be used.

Give me a lever long enough....

I have a bunch of heavy stuff, several up to 8000 lbs that i move with a lever and a few 3/4" mdf pads, very slowly and very carefully.

Tall machines are dangerous and can easily tip. Wrestling with tall machines can hurt... got the Tee-shirt.

I have a pallet jack for the lighter stuff.

If i had a nice flat shop floor i would get air floats.

Was thinking of buying a hand truck that can handle 600 lbs. just not sure if my top heavy drill press will work with that...

I use a long flat bar to get the machine up, then use a dolly or some pieces of pipe to roll the machine around.

Have a pry bar and it was a gift used from a friend. Its some kind of steel maybe a Samurai guy made it. I can move 2,500lbs half inch at a time along the floor fairly easily just by prying. I do sometimes leave a trail though depending on what the floor is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rosner View Post
    Was thinking of buying a hand truck that can handle 600 lbs. just not sure if my top heavy drill press will work with that...
    For something top heavy like a drill press, I'd use an engine hoist.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Engine hoist for a tall narrow machine like this or some similar device to lift from the top. Anything underneath is high risk to machine and personnel. Cheers

11. I recently moved so a number of items needed to be relocated. I bought a hand truck...$70 very well spent. For my drill press, I took the motor off because of it being top heavy. The base and post were moved easily with the hand truck, as was the motor, and then the motor reinstalled.

I've used the hand truck to move stone slabs, logs for woodturning, and the list goes on. Invest in one; you won't be sorry.

Moving a drill press lower the table all the way then lower the head at least half way down.
    They really should be tied down in place so they do not tip over.
    Bill D

A hand truck is ok but it can be hard to tie a DP to it. Then it's still a challenge to move around other obstructions.

Make a plywood sled that you can tie a rope to. Slip it underneath. Then get a friend or two to help study and drag it.

The real answer is machinery skates but that is really too much cost for lightweight machines as used in a woodshop. Anything under one ton they are overkill for a level move. Maybe rol-a-lifts might work? Problem is a drillpress has no cabinet to attach lifting equipment to. You will have to bolt it to. pallet then attach the rol-a-lift to the pallet.
    A attached d alink to the 3 ton version yo udo not need anywhere near that much capacity
    Bil lD.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1218/0440080/3-ton-roll-a-lift/

https://www.rolalift.com/RAL/Products.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-17-2018 at 7:31 PM.

I keep my bandsaw and planer on custom pallets. They each weigh around 800lbs. I use a pallet jack to move them around almost daily.