Thread: When different color tile grouts meet - best transistion method?

When different color tile grouts meet - best transistion method?

If you want to tile two different areas of ceramic tile with different color grouts and the grout lines must meet at some point, what's the best way to handle that transistion?

I'd prefer that the two colors meet to form a sharp edge instead of smearing into each other. Would it help to find a matching color caulk and use it where the two colors meet? - that might provide more control.

I would see if Schluter has some kind of transition strip or perhaps use a marble transition or even a wood transition matching your wood trim if it is stained. I would try hard to use one ceramic tile that would work with both areas eliminating the change from one tile and grout to a second tile and grout.

You might try the johnbridge.com/bulletinboard for ideas.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I did this once a long time ago. What I did was grout the first color, allowing the grout to run past the end of the tile where the transition was to occur. When that color had set hard, but not fully, I used a grout saw to remove the excess grout from the transition area. With a little care, I was able to get a pretty clean edge. Then I allowed that grout to fully set, and sealed it with grout sealer. I applied painters tape to the set and sealed grout adjoining the transition area and then grouted with the second color. Don't have pictures as it was in a previous house, but it came out pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough for the boss....

Try to avoid it....

Seriously though, i'd use a Schluter trim. Floor or wall?

An idea that just occurred to me, if a transition strip won't work, is to cut a thin strip of wood, only wide enough (1/8" ?) and high enough to go in the normal gap between tiles, finishing or painting the edge a color that matches. Then grout one area and, when hard, put tape on the wood strip and the grouted side and grout the other.