Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 16" Jointer Review- G9953ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    FYI there is no tariff on this jointer since it is made in Taiwan.
    Yes I am aware. I never claimed that this item was effected by the tariff. I mentioned it to provide context.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Ok I'm not familiar with those big jointers and the picture brings up a question about that round rack gear. Does it get jammed with chips?
    The dust collection is adaquate. Sometimes, I forget to turn on the dust collector, or I fail to open the correct blast gate. That is why there are chips in that picture.

I got the 8" version of that jointer back when they still made it. It was a good machine. The straight knives were a little fussy to set and IIRC, I broke the fence adjustment handle. Overall good experience with it though. We had it set up with a feeder for edge jointing and moved the fence/feeder forward to fresh parts of the knife as it got dulled. Only got rid of it when the process changed.
    JR

4. I wanted to PM the OP and donated so I could. Unfortunately the OP would have had to donated to receive PMs. Ugghhh. I'm thinking about buying this jointer. It's on sale for $6995 for single phase model and $5995 for 3 phase model. Both are $1000 off. Any ideas why single phase is $1000 more? I was worried that maybe tariffs hit the single phase model and not the 3 phase, but they are both made in Taiwan like others have mentioned. I'm curious what OP and others have paid for this jointer? Do you think $6995 is good deal. I could actually buy 3 phase unit and order a replacement single phase motor and be ahead.

5. Liam, I am considering the 16 inch Grizzly, but my question is how the helical head on this unit compares to the design of the Byrd heads, other Grizzly units have the Byrd design but when it comes to the 16 inch jointer it has a different design, without being able to look at it up close it would appear that the inserts are more set in the head and also looks as though getting rid of the wood shavings could be a problem

These are spiral head cutterheads, the inserts are arranged along a helical line on the cutterhead, but the inserts are straight edged and are oriented parallel to the axis of the cutterhead. On a Byrd shelix head the inserts are aligned to the helical line and the cutting edge of the insert is curved. This provides a shearing cut instead of just a shorter interrupted cut. I have had no issue with chip removal from the cutterhead. The jointer overall could do a little better in chip evacuation.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by David Roberts View Post
    I wanted to PM the OP and donated so I could. Unfortunately the OP would have had to donated to receive PMs. Ugghhh. I'm thinking about buying this jointer. It's on sale for $6995 for single phase model and $5995 for 3 phase model. Both are $1000 off. Any ideas why single phase is $1000 more? I was worried that maybe tariffs hit the single phase model and not the 3 phase, but they are both made in Taiwan like others have mentioned. I'm curious what OP and others have paid for this jointer? Do you think $6995 is good deal. I could actually buy 3 phase unit and order a replacement single phase motor and be ahead.
    David, PM sent.

To the discussion I'll add that I would probably get a 3-phase machine and put a VFD on it. Less expense, more robust motor, and features like braking.

8. Thanks for the advice!!!! I just learned this morning that single phase to 3 phase VFDs exist. You can get a cheap 7.5kw one off Amazon for $200. Variable speed plus braking sounds like the $200 isn't wasted. This way I get to buy the much cheaper 3 phase jointer. I called Grizzly and they started an official inquiry as to why the single phase is $1000 more. The rep admitted the only difference is the phase of the motor. I checked other Grizzly items that offer 5hp single and 3 phase options (dust collector, table saw, etc) and the price is the same.

If Grizzly gets back to me and admits it's a typo and the single phase and 3 phase should be the same price, would you still get the 3 phase?

9. Well Grizzly got back to me and gave me a pretty generic answer "We get different discounts on each model and pass those discounts on to the customer". So that means the factory that is pumping out these 16" jointers really really wants to move it if a 3 phase motor is attached and not so much if a single phase motor is attached. I think something else is going on, but I am not spending $1000 more for a single phase motor. I'm looking around at other units. My fall back plan will be to buy their 3 phase machine and get a single phase to 3 phase VFD for it for ~$200. I'm just a little irritated at them right now to buy it immediately.

David,
    Check your PM's, I have another option for you that will give you a better machine for less money.
    Jeff

Hey thanks for the review. I’m close to pulling the trigger on purchasing this exact model. So it’s almost April 2020, do you still have the machine and do you still like it? If you had to do it all over, would you buy it again? Also, how did the freight delivery go for you? I ask because the crate is 110 inches wide apparently, and that’s wider than a 53 foot trailer at about 8 feet. To load it or unload it from an enclosed trailer without a dock you’d have to use a forklift with extra long forks to get under it lengthwise (the wrong way) or slide it out with a winch onto a flatbed/tilt bed tow truck. That’s how pro movers unloaded my large woodworking machinery out of our semi truck.

For any residential delivery they can’t really use a truck with a lift gate because the crate is too big. It didn’t arrive on an open flatbed did it? Just curious how they would get that thing into or out of an enclosed trailer without a dock and using two pallet jacks to load it in longways.

This would be my largest freight purchase ever, and I’m just curious how they ship something that big and what the options are for residential delivery.

EDIT....annnnd it helps when one reads the entire original post. I see that liftgate service was indeed unavailable due to the massive size of the crate. So just curious what options did they give you for the standard shipping fee that you paid to grizzly? I see that you ended up renting a truck and picking it up yourself off of a dock? How did they get it into your rental truck? I imagine that picking it up at a dock is the only option unless the freight company does residential delivery with an open flatbed.

Cheers,

Devin
    Last edited by Devin Brenan; 03-31-2020 at 1:43 AM.

A single phase motor bigger then about one horsepower costs more to make because it has more parts. They both have about the same motor windings then the single phase has a starting winding, a starting switch, start and /or run capacitors and the extra wiring to connect all that together.
    Above five horsepower or so most machines are industrial use ,not home use. Industrial shops will have three phase so that is what they prefer on bigger machines since it is cheaper to buy the motors that way. It is economy of scale as well.
    Bill

I have never had to move a 16" jointer, but I have had to hire someone to move farm machinery, including some oversize balers and such and some parts tractors without wheels, and I had a guy with a rollback who would move pretty much anything as long as it fit. He also delivers sheds for the Amish who build them around here. Anything that can be winched onto the truck can then be slid off onto the ground at the delivery location, and he was pretty affordable. I would think that could be an option to get a jointer from the dock to your driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have never had to move a 16" jointer, but I have had to hire someone to move farm machinery, including some oversize balers and such and some parts tractors without wheels, and I had a guy with a rollback who would move pretty much anything as long as it fit. He also delivers sheds for the Amish who build them around here. Anything that can be winched onto the truck can then be slid off onto the ground at the delivery location, and he was pretty affordable. I would think that could be an option to get a jointer from the dock to your driveway.
    Yea that's what I was thinking...a rollback trailer or a flatbed/tiltbed tow truck would be the best options for me. I doubt the freight company will oblige, but we shall see. I could get it off of a flatbed truck myself at the shop with my hydraulic-manual pallet stacker. rated for 2200 lbs with 98" lift and 48 inch long forks. Love that thing.

Hi Mr. Liam,

I recently received a G9953ZX 16” Jointer. I had a question about the fence.

My fence seems to ride on the tables. Does yours? I would
    image this would scratch if not permanently etch the tables. I’ve called Grizzly tech support and have not received a solid answer. Most pictures I see the fence rides just above.

The fence also rocks back and forth when not tightened as your adjusting the fence.

I would be happy to get any info from anyone.

some say this is common, keep it waxed to stop scrathing.., some say ppl have used tape under the fence,
    my last jointer was just a Ridgid and I could adjust the fence without worry, easy and fast. The thing is like new after years

thank you