Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizzly 16" Jointer Review- G9953ZX

The cost difference between 1 phase and 3 phase are pretty simple to explain in some cases.

If a particular model is available in both 1 phase and 3 phase and the item is evenly purchased between commercial and non-commercial individuals you would expect the same quantity discounts for the motor to apply at the manufacturer's level. (i.e. 100 1 ph motors versus 100 3ph motors.)

If a particular model is available in both 1 phase and 3 phase and the item is mostly purchased by commercial individuals that want the 3 phase version and only a few non-commercial individuals buy it in the 1 phase version, then the manufacturer will be producing a larger number (95% of the machines) of machines with motors as 3 phase and fewer 1 phase motors. (i.e. 10 1 ph motors versus 190 3 ph motors.)
    They would get a bigger discount on the larger number of 3 phase motors and maybe no discount on the fewer 1 phase motors. And in fact it maybe a special order each time a 1 phase motor is purchased.

The pure size of the 16" jointer pretty much limits it to someone running a business in a commercial building which has 3 phase electrical service. Yes, there are a few people that are going to buy one for home use, but the majority will be for businesses.

Which means that the majority of the motors for this particular model being purchased are going to be 3 phase which results in a cost savings.

I even asked Powermatic if they could simply replace the 7-1/2hp motor in their 16" jointer with a 1 phase 7-1/2hp motor since they did in fact have a 1 phase 7-1/2hp that was being used in one of their planers at the time. Even as a custom order, they said they would not do it because nobody buys that jointer that does not have 3 phase service and they could not afford to redesign it for one person. I even asked if it would work and I would do the swap out, and they would not respond. I have a 1 phase 7-1/2hp motor on my shop air compressor, so I knew these motors were readily available in 1 phase at that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Woodrome View Post

My fence seems to ride on the tables. Does yours? I would
    image this would scratch if not permanently etch the tables. I’ve called Grizzly tech support and have not received a solid answer. Most pictures I see the fence rides just above.
    I recently bought this machine and it appears the fence does ride on the table. Maybe this is common. I haven't owned a 16" jointer before. You can tilt the fence back (so it's off the table) and then extend the fence toward the front and the adjustment mechanism will hold the fence off the table. So, it's capable of handling the load. However, the fence will rock up and down a bit in this position.

Also, on my machine, the infeed table is MUCH harder to raise than the outfeed table. The infeed table is longer than the outfeed table, and therefore heavier. But the level of effort is so much more that something seems to not be correct. I called Grizzly and they didn't have an answer. I will probably tighten the tension spring under the table to see if that helps.

Kyle/Thomas,

I'm no expert, but I've used ~ 10 to 15 different jointers in my time as a hobbyist and when I was younger. I own two now. All of them had iron-on-iron contact with the fence resting on the outfeed table in a specific section with a long relief cut for the infeed table to keep it floating.

It can certainly mark the tables, especially if grit is on the table, but not enough to matter in most cases and not if you keep things clean/waxed/treated. The only jointers i've seen that glide over the infeed [edit, meant Outfeed] table with rollers are pictures online of super high end machines (Hofmann and others).
    Last edited by Devin Brenan; 12-14-2020 at 7:35 PM.

Liam,

My G9953ZX will be delivered the first week of April and would ask if you could shed some light on the crate and my plan to get it into my shop. Assuming this end unloads from end of the crate given its width? My plan is to have delivered to my work and then put the crate onto 3/4 ton pickup and drive it to my house. I have a friend with tractor, forks, lifting straps. We are planning on removing crate from truck then disassemble crate and use lifting straps to remove jointer from crate base and position it in place. Does this plan sound feasible/doable? If not, what recommendation might you have? TIA
    Last edited by Todd Boyer; 01-30-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    The cost difference between 1 phase and 3 phase are pretty simple to explain in some cases.

If a particular model is available in both 1 phase and 3 phase and the item is evenly purchased between commercial and non-commercial individuals you would expect the same quantity discounts for the motor to apply at the manufacturer's level. (i.e. 100 1 ph motors versus 100 3ph motors.)

If a particular model is available in both 1 phase and 3 phase and the item is mostly purchased by commercial individuals that want the 3 phase version and only a few non-commercial individuals buy it in the 1 phase version, then the manufacturer will be producing a larger number (95% of the machines) of machines with motors as 3 phase and fewer 1 phase motors. (i.e. 10 1 ph motors versus 190 3 ph motors.)
    They would get a bigger discount on the larger number of 3 phase motors and maybe no discount on the fewer 1 phase motors. And in fact it maybe a special order each time a 1 phase motor is purchased.

The pure size of the 16" jointer pretty much limits it to someone running a business in a commercial building which has 3 phase electrical service. Yes, there are a few people that are going to buy one for home use, but the majority will be for businesses.

Which means that the majority of the motors for this particular model being purchased are going to be 3 phase which results in a cost savings.

I even asked Powermatic if they could simply replace the 7-1/2hp motor in their 16" jointer with a 1 phase 7-1/2hp motor since they did in fact have a 1 phase 7-1/2hp that was being used in one of their planers at the time. Even as a custom order, they said they would not do it because nobody buys that jointer that does not have 3 phase service and they could not afford to redesign it for one person. I even asked if it would work and I would do the swap out, and they would not respond. I have a 1 phase 7-1/2hp motor on my shop air compressor, so I knew these motors were readily available in 1 phase at that size.
    Hi Rob, three phase motors are smaller, lighter and less expensive than single phase motors, and the starters are less expensive because they carry less current.

I’m not surprised they wouldn’t do a one off.....Regards, Rod