Thread: Can I add dye to Rustoleum?

Can I add dye to Rustoleum?

Anyone know if I can add Mohawk dye concentrate to an oil based paint such as Rustoleum?

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/pro...-concentrates/

On their website Mohawk write about their dye concentrates that "They can also be used as a toner or “shader” by adding directly to water-based and most solvent based finishes to create a customized finish."

These solvent based finished might be based on something other than oil perhaps.
    If not Mohawk, what dye can I add?

thanks, Mark

It will kind of work but not necessarily for more than a few days. Colouring like this can separate as the paint reaches full cure leaving streaky or patchy paint. You are much better off going to a paint store and buying some tinter in the colours you want. Paint tinter has opaque pigments and fixing agents that stop the separation. Cheers

Sounds good, thanks Wayne.

The universal tinting pigments will work mechanically, but my question is WHY. You run a risk of achieving a streaky uneven finish. Unless using a finishing material meant for spraying, I have found it much easier to color the wood, either dye or stain, first. Then you can apply clear coats for the protection and to achieve the desired sheen. Applying these multiple coats ends up being easier than trying to achieve good results in just one or two tinted coats.

Steve, I snuck a non-woodworking question onto the forum.
    I want to paint a bandsaw I'm restoring.
    What I'll do is get some white Rustoleum, and their green, which is quite dark, and mix them to get the shade I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Steve, I snuck a non-woodworking question onto the forum.
    I want to paint a bandsaw I'm restoring.
    What I'll do is get some white Rustoleum, and their green, which is quite dark, and mix them to get the shade I'm looking for.
    That's actually a good method to create a one-time custom color with oil based paint when they are the same brand/line. And it eliminates any incompatibilities. Just be sure to mix "really thoroughly" to fully incorporate both colors completely before you start slathering it on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...