Thread: door identificaton

door identificaton

how to mark or identify doors removed from jambs, to paint and then return to proper jamb. apx 36 each 3 x7

Just mark on the top edge of the door with a Sharpie. Make a drawing to keep up with which jamb is which. If the top edge has to be painted, use Roman Numerals with a chisel. Roman Numerals because it's so much faster to make an 8 with a chisel.

Sharpie in the area under the top hinge works too. Mark door and jamb.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to take the door knobs for painting you can put the identifying information in the hole for the knob and latch hardware.

If not, write it on a piece of masking tape placed on the knob.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I always used to mark the hinges with sharpie on masking tape.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I have one of those automatic date stampers that I use on wood that I store away so I know how long it has been drying.. You could easily use it to mark the doors and jambs under the hinge or knob escutcheon. Just chose a month and advance the date from one to 31. since you need 36 advance to the next month and repeat.
    If 372 days in a year is not enough you can then advance the years as well. Most will probably have ten years plus one blank year for a total of 4092. If that is not enough then it is time to switch ink color or stamp each date twice or maybe sideways.
    Bill D.