Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PEX expander

Have you tried the stainless steel clamp type fittings. They are easier to use inside a wall. pay a little extra and get the ratcheting kind. Mine has an led that lights when the crimp is tight. They will not unlatch until the clamp is full tight.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Have you tried Shark Bite? They are available "everywhere" and when I've used them they have been 100% reliable. More expensive though.

JKJ
    I've used them a little, stupid expensive though. Back in a previous career, we used John Guest fittings, which were in essence the same thing but plastic and half price or so. I've wondered why they aren't used in plumbing.

Anyone ever had a shark bite fail? I destroyed one once in installation, never in use. Have to admit they worry me a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Have you tried the stainless steel clamp type fittings. They are easier to use inside a wall. pay a little extra and get the ratcheting kind. Mine has an led that lights when the crimp is tight. They will not unlatch until the clamp is full tight.
    Bill
    I've used some stainless clamp rings on a different application, with mixed success. Ag irrigation systems use a lot of them, also underground sprinklers. Never used them for residential plumbing though. I have seen several failure with an Oetiker clamp, but it was in an extreme environment. Was looking at then at the plumbing store yesterday actually.

Well, I got the expander yesterday, hopefully today will be so productive that it makes up for the lost day fetching it....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I've used them a little, stupid expensive though. Back in a previous career, we used John Guest fittings, which were in essence the same thing but plastic and half price or so. I've wondered why they aren't used in plumbing.

Anyone ever had a shark bite fail? I destroyed one once in installation, never in use. Have to admit they worry me a little though.
    I got a call to go install a fix after a shark bite fitting came loose. And started flooding the upstairs.

I, myself, don’t trust them enough to leave them permanently installed.

For PEX, I use the Viega system where they use a stainless steel collar to clamp the PEX to the fitting. They seem to hold much better than the ring type connectors.

Clint.
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 09-19-2018 at 6:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I got a call to go install a fix after a shark bite fitting came loose. And started flooding the upstairs.

I, myself, don’t trust them enough to leave them permanently installed.

For PEX, I use Viega’S system where theY use a stainless steel collar to clamp the PEX to the fitting. They seem to hold much better than the ring type connectors.

Clint.
    Clint, I'm not familiar with the Viega S, a google keeps pulling up megapress stuff, but I doubt that's what you are talking about. Have a pic maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Clint, I'm not familiar with the Viega S, a google keeps pulling up megapress stuff, but I doubt that's what you are talking about. Have a pic maybe?
    Not Clint, but here you go......You were close:
    https://www.viega.us/en/products/inn...ex-system.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Not Clint, but here you go......You were close:
    https://www.viega.us/en/products/inn...ex-system.html
    Greg got it. It’s the PureFlow Press system.

Clint

I'd feel a little better about that system if it had a longer warranty. I got my plumbing license in 1975, and I've seen things come, and go, that didn't work out so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    Greg got it. It’s the PureFlow Press system.

Clint

Ahh, I have seen those around on the web. Never in the wild here, but this area is probably the last to adopt any new system. I was talking the the plumbing supply house counter guy Monday, and it was really surprising how little newer stuff they carried. If I wanted press fit copper, I was in business, but they didn't carry any Uponor/Wirsbo, just some Sioux Chief. Ironically, I bought the expander there, and it is branded Uponor Pro Pex. I suspect I know what the highest margin stuff is after talking to him.