Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEX expander

PEX expander

Long shot, but has anyone noticed a power pex expander tool, either the Milwaukee or preferably the Dewalt, at any of the box stores? I'm trying to find one over the weekend here, nothing in my little town, so it's an hour north or south, a solid lead would help.

Blog Entries
    Some of the big box stores and even Ace and True Value might have these. Your best bet might be to look at their web sites, then get on the phone and start calling to see if any have it in stock.

You might also look for plumbing supply dealers. Problem with those who cater to the commercial crowd is they are likely to be closed on weekends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Never seen any fittings or tools for them. Unlikely to see them since the store sells one tool and never sells any clamps later to make more money.
    Bill D

In Ohio, menards carries the Sioux Chief line of expansion pex fitting, tubing and tools. I see there are a couple of menards in Nebraska, so you might try there if there is one within driving distance.

Thanks guys, I'm striking out I guess. I checked all the online inventories of the "local" big boxes and made some calls, Home Depot can order one, Menards wants you to by the manual expander. Menards does carry some of the fittings, which is the closest I've come. Tractor Supply was confused, Bomgaars can order, so can Runnings, Ace and Lowes. As an aside, what's the point of a brick and mortar store if they all carry the same darn things, and amazon can ship faster and cheaper than they can order. Guess I'll kill a day this week going to a plumbing supply company, which Jim predicted, is closed on the weekend, or wait on amazon.

Such a tool is only useful if you have the special fittings. Soundslike your local stores do not carry the fittings so why do you want the tool? Already have a bucket full of fittings? Do not use an expander with regular big box store fittings. They will work fine for a while until they pop off in the middle of the night.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Such a tool is only useful if you have the special fittings. Soundslike your local stores do not carry the fittings so why do you want the tool? Already have a bucket full of fittings? Do not use an expander with regular big box store fittings. They will work fine for a while until they pop off in the middle of the night.
    Bil lD

I do have the fittings, that'd be bad to expand a pex b line...

FWIW, I use www.supplyhouse.com to buy most of my wirsbro expander PEX stuff. They seem to have local affiliates in many cities and often deliver next day. They used to be called PEX supply but expanded into many related products and changed their name.

Never heard of an expander. Been using pex around the farm for 15 years Still use the copper crimp rings, do not trust shark bites. Heard about too much property damage when they cut loose. Installed radiant heat in the old farm house, thinking about adding basement wall radiant down there.

I agree with Jim, try the plumbing supply place if you can't find one elsewhere (but probably out of luck on the weekend). A plumber showed me a new cordless electric expander he had just bought that day, presumably from a local shop.

Sounds like you have a lot of plumbing to do if you want the power expander. I'm sure Menards only carries the manual because most diy'ers wouldn't want to shell out the money for a power unit. The concept and function of type a pex and fittings is far better than the crimp fittings etc. Here's a video of the process for those who aren't familiar.

youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=an4C5w0H-A0

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Sounds like you have a lot of plumbing to do if you want the power expander. I'm sure Menards only carries the manual because most diy'ers wouldn't want to shell out the money for a power unit. The concept and function of type a pex and fittings is far better than the crimp fittings etc. Here's a video of the process for those who aren't familiar.

youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=an4C5w0H-A0

I do, plumbers are scare out here in the sticks, and it's a whole house. Been putting off parking the crimpers but I can seriously cut the installation time and cost by switching, so I guess it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I do, plumbers are scare out here in the sticks, and it's a whole house. Been putting off parking the crimpers but I can seriously cut the installation time and cost by switching, so I guess it's time.
    Have you tried Shark Bite? They are available "everywhere" and when I've used them they have been 100% reliable. More expensive though.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Have you tried Shark Bite? They are available "everywhere" and when I've used them they have been 100% reliable. More expensive though.

JKJ
    That'd be crazy expensive for a whole house. Probably pay for a cordless expander a couple times over with the difference, sharkbites are about 10x the price of pex fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    That'd be crazy expensive for a whole house. Probably pay for a cordless expander a couple times over with the difference, sharkbites are about 10x the price of pex fittings.
    Yes, of course, but not unreasonable if it's for emergency weekend use or for a few connections until the tool was ordered and in hand.