Thread: Grizzly Customer Service

Grizzly Customer Service

Most people who post about customer service seem to have complaints. I am not doing that. I recently had an issue with my G1023RL table saw. It just plain would not start. Since I live in Bellingham I went to the Grizz store and talked to the sales rep there. He thought it might be the points and/or the centrifugal switch. He called the local tech and got the parts that he had on hand (gave them to me free). changed that out, the sounds changed but the problem was not fully solved. The local tech suggested the next step was to determine if the start capacitor was OK. It was. He then suggested that I bypass the switches to determine if the motor was OK (talked me through the process). The motor was fine. Last suggestion, in the spirit of isolating each part was to get a new start switch and a new magnetic starter. Parts came, I went to the store and talked with the electrical tech. He very carefully explained the process and talked me through changing out the magnetic starter. I followed his directions and successfully got my saw back. Throughout the process, they called regularly to see how I was doing. I just want to thank Grizzly, and especially Hua and Larry for all the very good help.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I too have had nothing but great customer service from Grizzly. There is always the chance of getting the service rep who is having a bad day but, some of the over-the-top stories I read in the forums have to make me think there is another contributing factor . . . if you get my drift.

This is where the folks with high end machines chime in and say "it shouldn't have had a problem in the first place". To that I can only say that the forums are rife with high end machine failure/service horror stories. Grizzly is like Saw Stop or Festool in that way; some people just love to hate them

I have some very nice tools and machines. I also have some of what many people feel are the best-bang-for-the-buck Grizzly machines. If I have to exchange a fence or replace a centrifugal switch to save $1000 and then run the machine trouble free ever after . . . I'm good with that.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-15-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I too have had nothing but great customer service from Grizzly. There is always the chance of getting the service rep who is having a bad day but, some of the over-the-top stories I read in the forums have to make me think there is another contributing factor . . . if you get my drift.

This is where the folks with high end machines chime in and say "it shouldn't have had a problem in the first place". To that I can only say that the forums are rife with high end machine failure/service horror stories. Grizzly is like Saw Stop or Festool in that way; some people just love to hate them

I have some very nice tools and machines. I also have some of what many people feel are the best-bang-for-the-buck Grizzly machines. If I have to exchange a fence or replace a centrifugal switch to save $1000 and then run the machine trouble free ever after . . . I'm good with that.
    Your exactly right Glenn. How you start the conversation may well determine the outcome.

Dealt with Grizzly customer service years ago on shipping damage, they were excellent to deal with then.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Your exactly right Glenn. How you start the conversation may well determine the outcome.
    This is the truest of true things in the entire history of truth.

And it’s so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    How you start the conversation may well determine the outcome.
    When I was a Deputy Sheriff with the Patrol Division, the outcome of a traffic stop depended considerably on the first ten seconds of our conversation. Before I turned on my blue lights, I already knew what I was going to write on the summons, but had not made up my mind if I was going to write it.

some of the over-the-top stories I read in the forums have to make me think there is another contributing factor . . . if you get my drift. I read the stories and think the same thing. Something fishy is going on. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Grizzly. What people now days seem to forget is nothing is perfect, things happen, as long as they iron things out in the end life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    When I was a Deputy Sheriff with the Patrol Division, the outcome of a traffic stop depended considerably on the first ten seconds of our conversation. Before I turned on my blue lights, I already knew what I was going to write on the summons, but had not made up my mind if I was going to write it.
    I once saved a ton of money on a ticket that I absolutely deserved by politely answering the question "Why were you going so fast" with "Officer, I knew that speed limit - it's been that for years - I just wasn't paying enough attention." I fully expected the ticket and was utterly amazed when he let me go. Maybe you just explained it Mike. Thanks.

Back on topic now..... I haven't bought from Grizzly, but I'd be surprised if Shiraz built such a successful business with lousy Customer Service. I'm a stickler for getting what I paid for. But I'm also very conscious of what is "reasonable". If my saw arrives with a scratch or a dent, they aren't going to ship it back and send me a new one - they are going to send me a paint stick or a new panel so that I can correct it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just so you all know, I have been a Grizzly customer for quite a few years. My saw is eight years old with a lot of use. An electrical part going bad is not something isn't expected. since I live in the same town as Grizzly I am in the store fairly often. the sales people know me, call me by name and are always very helpful. I have been using woodworking equipment of various brands and types for nearly 50 years (tools that I have owned).
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never owned a piece of their equipment but your after sales service experience sounds amazing! Awesome.

Nothing but good experience with the three new Grizzly machines I've bought over 25 years and their CS. When my BS arrived a couple of years ago with some scratched paint they apologized and promptly sent me touch up paint at no charge. Other than that, all have been excellent and trouble free.

Not all of the horror stories we read about machines from company XYZ are blown out of proportion or just plain false. I know a couple of people on this and other forums and their pain was real. Problems can happen at all levels of the purchase/delivery process. How the company that sold it handles those problems has a major impact on my purchase decision when considering a new machine. I see no reason to reward a company that treats their customers poorly regardless of how good one of their machines that arrives w/o problems may be.

John