Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickley 913 Reproduction - All Neander

Stickley 913 Reproduction - All Neander

Hello,

I have completed my second Stickly reproduction piece and thought I would share the results. All work was done with hand tools - including resawing all drawer sides, drawer bottoms, and the back planks of the dresser. Lots of sweat! The effort took nearly 4 years between moving houses and having babies. But here is the final result.

The primary wood is quarter-sawn white oak. Drawer sides are poplar. Drawer bottoms are cedar. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2216.jpgIMG_2095.jpgIMG_2314.jpgIMG_2379.jpgIMG_2380.jpgIMG_2382.jpgIMG_2096.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Major wow factor!

What finishing schedule did you use?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a beautiful piece. Well worth all your effort and time. Congratulations on finishing it in between all your major life events.

I really like the way you left the drawers natural. (I love poplar and cedar both in their natural state.) I'm curious why the drawer pulls are so large - is that just how Stickley did things or was that a personal preference?

Well done,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like it, clean work. Looks like you used slips for the drawer bottom - nice touch. How thick is the drawer front material?
    David

Great job!

Fantastic.
    Even more impressed that you went 100% hand tool.
    There aren't that many of us.

Beautiful!

What's the finish?

Few pieces are as useful so I know you will enjoy using such a splendid hand made creation. I noted your workbench is a classic English style bench. If you were to buy one machine to speed things up what would it be? Blasphemy you say? Lots of blasphemers around, it does mean you get to use your other tools more!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Beautiful chest of drawers! Solid & probably treasured for generations. One of my motivations for my woodworking was looking at garbage chest of drawers for my children at retail stores. Your chest is the way they should be built.

Matt,

Beautiful piece! Great job.

Stew

Nice work!

Outstanding work-looks fantastic!

I too am a fan of Stickley furniture and would not have become a woodworker if it wasn't for the Stickley revival in the 1980's. I'm typing this on a desk I built, copied from Stickley. You did a beautiful job on the chest. I have a question for you or perhaps another reader: Does vintage Stickley furniture feature dovetailed drawer construction? I have never known for sure but think they might have used a machine-made interlocking joint in the drawer corners. This also could be made with a combination plane.

Impressed by the dedication, many forget that unless retired or without any responsibilities, projects do take time. Very impressed.

Beautiful piece and work Matt. Thanks for sharing it.