Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stickley 913 Reproduction - All Neander

Wow. Congratulations on such a well executed piece of furniture. That’s quite an accomplishment for an electron deficient workshop! Man I love my handtools but obviously not as much as you do

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful piece, especially for all by hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice piece! Can you write a bit about the finish?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    That is a fine looking piece and a testament to hand tool woodworking. Beautifully done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Matt. You have made a beautiful piece of furniture that you and your family will use, admire, and be very proud of for years to come. You should be feeling very good about it. Lots of hard work but well worth it.
    Jim

I love this piece, and I happen to a fan of the style. I made one of the No. 110 Night Stands a couple years ago. My then 14 year old son made this one for his 4H project in 2017. We used the plans from Robert Lang's Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture. There he mentions that half-blind dovetails were typical in drawer box construction.

Where did you get your plans for this piece?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on a beautiful piece and impressed that it was all neander! Look forward to seeing more.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have a question for you or perhaps another reader: Does vintage Stickley furniture feature dovetailed drawer construction? I have never known for sure but think they might have used a machine-made interlocking joint in the drawer corners. This also could be made with a combination plane.[/QUOTE]

Hand cut half-blind was typical. The drawer front extends about 1/8" past the drawer sides, making it a little trickier to make the sockets but easier to fit end to end in the opening. Drawers were guided by wood runner attached to the middle of the drawer bottom. I wrote about this on my blog, but TOS prevent me from including a link. Try googling "How Gustav Stickley Made Drawers"

Bob Lang

really, really nice!

Now that is some truly beautiful workmanship. If I may ask a beginner question, how are the side panels attached to the corner frame pieces?