Thread: pet microchip scanners - important formats for dogs and cats?

pet microchip scanners - important formats for dogs and cats?

In looking at the specs of pet microchip scanners, they admit there are some microchip formats they can't scan. Which formats are important for dogs and cats?

The page http://www.petpoint.com/help/ipad/mi...gistration.htm lists many formats. Many of the scanners won't read 9 digit chips. What were (or are) they used for?

Many scanners won't scan "AVID" or "Trovan" chips. Are those formats used for dogs and cats?

If you know a veterinarian or someone at an animal shelter, you could ask them. They're likely to know what's used in your area.

Blog Entries
    My dog has an Avid chip.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My dog has an Avid chip.

AVID chips are described as "encrypted" ( https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvet...ific-scan-6681 ). Why would that be a good thing?

I supose it depends on where you live. I live near the med-alert headquarters. they will never change their area code, ever. A pet chip only needs to last for 15 years or so. Human information needs to be accessable for 100 years or more.
    Bill D