Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up SCM FS 30c J/P

setting up SCM FS 30c J/P

Just uncrated my FS 30c and am way excited. Unpacked everything and the manual really has no setup instructions. Anyone have any idea where to locate setup instructions?

Jeff.

Call whoever sold it to you.

John

they want you to hire a tech so dont provide much info, so far havent found a you tube on set up of a sliding table saw

My FS41c came pretty much ready to go, IIRC. Do you have a specific question?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    My FS41c came pretty much ready to go, IIRC. Do you have a specific question?
    Not really. I can probably figure it out if I go over the parts diagram enough, but setup instructions tend to have things like where all the shipping locks are that need to be removed. Depending on the machine, it can be somewhat easy to miss one of those. And there are a few strange things like a 5" thin bolt that is partially screwed into the frame of the machine on the outfeed side of the planer table. Looks like it should be used to mount something there, but I can't see what would go there. There are a few things in the goody bag that I can't see what to do with them. Just random stuff like that.

I agree with Brian that there shouldn't be much to do and you can always call Sam if need be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had zero luck getting help from anyone, so good luck with that. Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/sf6kWS_Mhgs

Try getting into the Mini Max "Forum" on Yahoo. You have to have establish a Yahoo email account, then look for the Mini Max Group. I have an FS30 Smart and had little or no help from Mini Max. Make sure your tables are flat. All else can be adjusted. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/sf6kWS_Mhgs
    Two comments
    1) And I thought I had a small shop
    2) He will soon be buried in wood chips
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Not really. I can probably figure it out if I go over the parts diagram enough, but setup instructions tend to have things like where all the shipping locks are that need to be removed. Depending on the machine, it can be somewhat easy to miss one of those. And there are a few strange things like a 5" thin bolt that is partially screwed into the frame of the machine on the outfeed side of the planer table. Looks like it should be used to mount something there, but I can't see what would go there. There are a few things in the goody bag that I can't see what to do with them. Just random stuff like that.
    I never did find out what that thin bolt is for. I finally decided it was a place to hang something - a pushblock, maybe. I have ignored it with no problems.

That bolt “might” be for the steel rod that backs up the jointer fence, which most owners never really used. If you can post pics, I’ll tell you what’s what.

Getting back to the OP’s question. I would not check or measure anything at this point. Get the machine cleaned up (which is actually a ton of work and will make you want to throw your clothes in a bonfire once you’re done) and just start running some lumber. Don’t make any adjustments until afterward. Most of my owners did not need to do a whole lot but I wouldn’t go creating work for myself without actually doing some test cuts. Best of luck, it’s an awesome machine.

Erik

I think this is the bolt the OP is referring to. It is located below the planer outfeed. I couldn't find it in the manual that came with my machine.

mystery_bolt.jpg

It's not part of the fence support (which I use, BTW). It is slender and sticks out of the machine about 2.25".
    Last edited by Brian W Evans; 09-16-2018 at 3:32 PM.

I have an FS30 Smart and it's not on my machine. The two machines look identical. By the way, I hope you at least check to make sure that the machine specs are within reason, before you run anything through it. Anything could happen during shipping.
    I believe in adjusting machines as close as is possible, to optimum. Not only does it then get you the best from the machine, but also you become more familiar with every aspect of it.

It’s to hang the jointer pushblock on. Funny, huh?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I think this is the bolt the OP is referring to. It is located below the planer outfeed. I couldn't find it in the manual that came with my machine.

mystery_bolt.jpg

It's not part of the fence support (which I use, BTW). It is slender and sticks out of the machine about 2.25".

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    It’s to hang the jointer pushblock on. Funny, huh?

Erik
    I thought so. It's not in a great spot for that, so I never use it.