Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to buy a circular saw if you own a track saw?

I still use a circular saw way more than a track saw. Mostly in the field, but they get some use in the shop.

They both have their uses

I use my Milwaukee circular saw very little since getting my DeWalt track saw. I also have a little 5.5 inch Ryobi cordless circular saw and use it occasionally. I recently cut three stringers for a staircase, two with the Milwaukee and I with the DeWalt. I wish I had done them all with the DeWalt. I like to think I know what I am doing with a circular saw but it was just so much easier to cut straight with the track saw.

Track saw blades are also 6.5 inches in diameter (or a little less for the Festool) limiting depth of cut. Most circular saws are 7.25 inches. So another 5/8 depth of cut.

Circular saws also commonly have 15A motors. I think my DeWalt is 12A and the Festool is about 10A. So bigger motors on circular saws.

Blades are cheaper for circular saws.

Just as you can get by without a track saw you could get by without a circular saw. But it's nice to have both and they aren't identical in how they work or when they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Cutting 2x material or the like is not the easiest when you can't see what you are doing
    Now, that is a good point given so far from a functional point of view where a track saw would be inferior than a circular saw, if one is using a track saw alone without the guide rail or track. Trade people use the track saw AND the rail to cut subfloors etc., not by the saw itself.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Of course, anyone can have a track saw and a circular saw, or even two of each!

But none of the responses so far show why function-wise we need a circular saw if you already have a track saw. That is what a circular saw can do but a track saw can't.

So you don't need a circular saw, but you can have one if you want one.

Simon
    They're both basically the same tool. One is just possibly considered a little more refined.
    I have a TS75 and older Makita circular saw. The Makita doesn't see much use, but if I'm doing something where the saw might get dropped, I use the Makita. I rebuilt our fence, after the neighbors tree fell through it, recently and used the Makita just because it's much lighter and smaller than the Festool TS75. If I'm going to drop a saw in the dirt and mud, I'd rather it not be the Festool.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Most track saws are not really designed for heavier "construction" type work, so having a "regular" circular saw available for those activities is not a horrible idea. I still use my late 1970s/early 1980s orange B&D circular saw for that and keep the track saw for what track saws do best.
    Lol, I have that same saw. First saw I ever bought. Can’t kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Peek View Post
    Lol, I have that same saw. First saw I ever bought. Can’t kill it.
    Yea, I know. Of course, I haven't used it a whole lot over the years, either, compared to some folks, but I'm happy that it works great when I do pull it out for some task! Not exactly quiet, however. LOL It has that "classic" circular saw sound...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both. It would get old very fast if I had to cut framing materials with a track saw. It’s perfect for managing sheet goods; I like it for making long angled or tapered cuts as well as perfectly square cuts. But for cutting 2X material when framing, it is much too cumbersome and heavy when I have circular saws to hand that do the job perfectly. (Particularly if you are working in a clumsy position).

Blog Entries
    Make a plywood jig with a 1/2 fastened in the middle of it. Then take your "skill saw" and cut a straight edge on the jig.
    The jig is then clamped to the piece you are trimming and cut a perfectly straight edge.
    Try it, you'll love it.

I've been using one of those for over 40 years Lowell. The only reason I could see to invest in a track saw, instead of using the Po'boy version, is for dust collection.
    I have a smaller one for the 314 for cutting one sheet of something. Those of us that produce work for a living have different reasons for buying tools than investing in future happiness.

This is what that job was doing-replacing 20' long faces on Heart Pine flooring in a museum house.

I haven't done much carpentry in the last few years and perhaps because of that have not used my circular saw since I got a track saw. I was just thinking that it was time to give it to my sister who bought a house and has no tools since I don't think I'll miss it. If it were cordless I'd have used it a lot to break stuff down at the lumberyard, but this is just a super cheap corded model.

Blog Entries
    Well, we all have our toy box don't we.

Both. The track saw excels at guided rips, trimming the ends off a length of deck boards and cutting sheet stock where you set it up to cut from above. It doesn't work well for one handed work like trimming 2X stock to length when it is done on the end of a lumber pile or lifted off the dirt with the right foot of your steel toed boot. With a circular saw you brace the wood with the left hand and guide the saw with your right, the guard retracting to allow the saw to advance through the wood as you move it forward. A track saw needs two motions to make the same cut. Pushing the saw down to plunge the blade and forward to complete the cut. Awkward as heck one handed and even with two hands when cutting in any position other than from above the saw as it was intended.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 09-15-2018 at 5:32 PM.

Thanks again for all the input guys. I decided to go ahead and pick up the circular saw. It was new in the box and they had it marked down from $199 to $100. I had a gift card from my Bday for $25 as well. I could just not pass it up for $75.

MakitaCircularSaw.jpg
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

That's a nice looking saw Keith Congrat's.

I haven't gone the cordless direction yet for any tool other than a drill/driver, but I hear good things about them.
    I have a remodel coming up and not dragging a cord about would be nice. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Makita cordless when you get some time on it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    That's a nice looking saw Keith Congrat's.

I haven't gone the cordless direction yet for any tool other than a drill/driver, but I hear good things about them.
    I have a remodel coming up and not dragging a cord about would be nice. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Makita cordless when you get some time on it.
    I'm not sure when I'll actually use the circular saw as I don't have any construction type projects coming up any time soon. I have been using my Makita cordless miter saw and track saw quite a bit however. Both are the brushless 36V versions (uses two 18v batteries) and I've been super happy with those. The miter saw has a very smooth glide to it and it cuts through 4x4s like butter. The cuts are very clean as well. My father-in-law and best friend were blown away with how it felt and cut. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the track saw, but I'm liking it a lot as well. I've not had to stop during any of my projects to recharge the batteries yet. I have recharged them overnight during a project, but work has never come to a halt due to low batteries, even when I'm cutting all day.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w