Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley a class act

Blog Entries

Lee Valley a class act

This is why I’m a repeat customer. Well- this and my addiction to the Veritas tool line.
    41641D0C-B696-4394-88DE-434D90CD4B84.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-04-2019 at 5:32 PM. Reason: a little easier to read

Blog Entries
    Business as usual for Rob and Co. Love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lee Valley sets the bar so high for their customer service that they often make me want to be a better customer in how I do business with them. Latest example for me is I bought a shooting board track from them during an earlier free shipping event. The track arrived and I had not even opened it yet when they introduced their new shooting board.

Now returns to Lee Valley are free shipping, and I was still in the return period on the track. I filled out the return form, where you can even order items on the form. I indicated that I wanted the return credit applied to the purchase of the shooting board, and I calculated the shipping costs with my total due. A day or two after I returned the track, Lee Valley had another free shipping event. I really expected to pay the shipping on the shooting board, but to my surprise they only charged me the difference between the shooting board cost and the track I returned. Shipping was again free. I just cannot express what a pleasure it is to do business with them.

Agreed.

And for folks that haven't read it, this is a great article on them:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle15472738/

wish that a discussion of payslope would be a standard part of public information about companies.

I bought a book from them and 6 to 8 months later they sent a refund of about $10.00 because the new stock that came in was cheaper and they were lowering the price. Also had them send me parts for the router plane that they changed. Great company.

I'll be a Debbie Downer and will likely be flamed for this, but here goes. In July, I ordered the dual marking gauge, a set of replacement cutters, and some other items, one of which was on extended back order (arrived this week). When the marking gauge and spare cutters arrived, I noticed the inside and outside cutting wheels were different diameters, but had other priorities and set the kit aside. For all I knew, the cutter wheels were supposed to be significantly different diameters.

In late August, I checked my online account for the status of the back ordered item and noticed an entry for the spare inside cutter as still being open. I didn't understand this, as I received the spare cutters with the main shipment. As it turns out, LV's shipped the dual marking gauge with an undersized inside cutter wheel and was sending replacements to everyone who ordered the gauges that had the wrong cutters. When my replacement cutters arrived last week, the packing slip showed two inside cutters, one for the gauge and the other for the spare I bought, but contained only one cutter. I notified LV about this and was assured a replacement would be sent out as soon as they are in stock again.

While I applaud LV's efforts to fix the problems, I think it would be a lot easier to identify the problem during the QA/QC checks as the parts are manufactured or received from the vendors. The document that accompanied the replacement stated the inside cutter should be about 0.374" and the bad parts are about 0.350". The replacement I received is 0.364", and the two bad parts I have are 0.346" and 0.354". The replacement is still on the small side, but bigger than the original cutters. It will be interesting to see what the diameter will be of the second replacement when it arrives.

Mike, it could be worse--another tools company *coughGrizzlycough* sold me a table saw with a warped insert and when I called, they essentially said that there's nothing to do except to try to pound it out with a hammer (which they don't even recommend) or to shell out $40 for a ZCI (recommend). Geez, thanks. Had it been Lee Valley, no doubt they would have sent out a replacement before I even notice the insert being warped.

No company or product is ever perfect, but it's how they respond that set the companies apart. It's the main reason why I've shelled out thousands to Lee Valley, versus writing off any more purchases from the other company.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    Mike, it could be worse--another tools company *coughGrizzlycough* sold me a table saw with a warped insert and when I called, they essentially said that there's nothing to do except to try to pound it out with a hammer (which they don't even recommend) or to shell out $40 for a ZCI (recommend). Geez, thanks. Had it been Lee Valley, no doubt they would have sent out a replacement before I even notice the insert being warped.

No company or product is ever perfect, but it's how they respond that set the companies apart. It's the main reason why I've shelled out thousands to Lee Valley, versus writing off any more purchases from the other company.
    Seriously! My last experience with said "cough" company has made me glad it will probably be my last. In the end they took care of me, I guess, but it was just a solid reminder of why I try to never buy from companies that just re-brand chinese made tools. Or even that make there tools there. When it can be avoided that is. Lee Valley has always been awesome for me, though I have never once had an issue I needed to take up with them, so take that however ya like.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 09-14-2018 at 6:59 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

An example of how Lee Valley treats customers . I was in the store a few weeks ago and saw a bandsaw blade on the clearance table for 1/2 price. It was an odd length 104 1/4" and it was obviously a return as the package was opened. My saw takes 105" blade but I thought I might have enough adjustment to use a 104 1/4" so I thought i'd give it a try (haven't tried it yet). I asked at the checkout if I could return it if it didn't fit. The clerk said of course and went on to say even if it fits and you use it and aren't satisfied with it you can always return it. How many places can you return a clearance item after you use it if you aren't satisfied?

I’ve been a Lee Valley customer for decades and even when it was my fault they have been entirely supportive, as if my happiness mattered more than their bottom line. Mind you, I have bought a lot of things I didn’t actually need because they just seem so cool. (My wife does not read these forums.)

..."as if my happiness mattered more than their bottom line."

That's the part that too many companies miss: Your happiness determines the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    ..."as if my happiness mattered more than their bottom line."

That's the part that too many companies miss: Your happiness determines the bottom line.

Your bottom line determines your bottom line. Their ability to shell out that amount of money to go over the top just tells you they are working with good margins.

It is very nice to hear of companies that do well, sell a good product, and stand behind it after the sale that aggressively.

The only returns I have sent to Lee Valley have been due to wrecked boxes with damaged contents. They were all delivered by UPS.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

The 104-1/4” was probably for the Inca 710 for any Canadian owners out there.

Yup. LV rocks! This is typical of them!
    They are my vendor of first choice - I always check with them first.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”