Thread: Table Saw Router Table

Table Saw Router Table

I've just completed a project that had a long pause in the middle. I built this router table for my table saw and came across a decent (new, never used) table and router combo for about 25 cents on the dollar. I've used the router table, but only sparingly and I'm gearing up to do a room full of furniture, end tables, entertainment center, etc. I have wanted to finish this project I started long ago mostly for rounding over, what seems to be my most common use of a router. I think this will save about 60-70% of my bit changes in the stand alone router table.IMG_1374router in ts3 (Medium) (2).JPGrouter in table saw (Medium) (2).JPGrouter in ts2 (Medium) (2).JPGI have the t track in place that can be used for attaching featherboards, a safety shield (both pictured) or you can treat this as a sub-fence and attach a sliding two-piece fence to get close to the routerbit, even zero clearance sacrificial wood if desired. Not as versatile as mystand alone table but there's a lot can be done here. The fence's base was designed to be clamped outboard of the router bit, or the fence can be attachedto the table saw fence with the fence clamps shown. This lets you feed ineither direction, a handy feature for long stock that you want supported by thetable saw's outfeed table. I simply laminated some 3/8" plywood, 3/4" mdf, and some plastic laminate left from a kitchen countertop. The dust collection port easily fit a shop vac hose that usually sits within a few feet of the table saw, so I might not use a 4"-2-1/2" adapter for the dust collector. There's a plywood "dummy" plate that fills the space when the router is not in use. I began by checking/adjusting level across all parts (wings, table, etc) of the table saw. Careful squaring of the router fence was required throughout the project, but overall, it was a gratifying build to add versatility to the shop. I filled in a large empty space occupied previously by a single spacer rod at the fart end of the fence. Now I have more surface area when not using the router.

Nice job Dennis. I have a router mounted on my jobsite tablesaw and have always wondered why more people don't mount routers on tablesaws.

That's a very clean install. Well done!
    I don't use a router mounted in the table saw any longer, but it's always nice to see how other folks have accomplished it should I ever go back.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I have had a router in the "wing" since 2003. I love the extra work surface this brings to both tools. I think you will enjoy it too. My layout placed the "wing" on the left so that the feed and clearance directions for both tools were the same. I also placed my miter slot on the router table the same distance from the bit as the left hand tablesaw slot is from the blade. This allows me to use jigs on both with minimal adjustment. As my tablesaw changed the "wing" became a cabinet but, is still bolted to the saw so as to maintain that added work surface I have become so used to.

Around 2005:

Fence Extn 1.jpg

Somewhere in between:

RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg

Now:

TS-Outfeed (37).jpg

The point being that as my shop grew and changed, the decision to attach the router table to the tablesaw has remained.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-04-2019 at 8:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler