Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting expensive car trend.

Interesting expensive car trend.

There is a car dealer that specializes in Ferraris, Hummers, expensive Mercedes and BMW models and the like near me.

I took my '55 T-Bird for a ride today, and drove around his facility. There was a Maserati with a flat olive drab paint job, a couple big Mercedes vans with camo, a camo Hummer H1, and a BMW coupe with flat black. They all appeared to be almost new, if not new.

I seem to be behind the times. My brother is in the process of buying a 2007 slightly used Bentley Continental with very low miles on it from some celebrity in Beverly Hills. I will have to talk to him about a paint job.

I wonder if they are wraps?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Flat and low sheen paint jobs have been around for a while. The Red Bull Formula 1 cars have had flat paint for a few years now. It's a trend that will pass like most trends. Don't change you own car's paint job. Low sheen paint really proves your spraying skills. You can't buff out your mistakes. Cheers

I think Harley Davidson started that a few years ago. I'm not a fan.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

They might be wrapped or there is another process now where a plastic sheet for want of a better word is sprayed on and if you don't like it then it can be removed without damage to the original finish.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Flat automotive finishes attract dirt like crazy too. Much harder to keep clean.

Blog Entries
    I'd rather have your 55 T-Bird. I saw a mercedes with what I would call more of a semi-gloss black than a flat- it looked great. It's a look that doesn't work in all cases, but it did on that car. I seem to remember that all the "chrome" was painted gloss black. I have a thing for black cars and bikes. I especially love the look on a bike.

There's a story about that, "And of Course, It Was Black", by John M. Ford.

Love that on a bike as well, or a bicycle:

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/monta...cked-out-30784

(if it ever stops raining and I can get back to riding, I'll have to take some new photos since I switched to an Ortlieb Trunk Bag RC)

Been a long time since a Hurst shifter, glass packs and Crager mags on a primer painted POS gave a young man a false sense of being hot crap.

not that long

20 minutes ago small town breakfeast 10 miles away, then credit union country back roads, open and pretty farms and custom homes on land, rolling hills and views for miles in some spots, sun shining, 72 GMC shortbox, 410 rear, Cragars, TAs, rear window open, . 400 small block rumble made it complete. No ABS, no Air Bag, no key beep thing to get in, roll down windows. little angle window vent things for air, no push button start. Simple as a lawn mower. I like old woodwork machines and I like old vehicles. I like not keeping up with the Jones. You are not behind the times Rick, not at all.

learned to detail and work paint in LA then an excellent guy in Canada. Id have zero interest in trying to maintain a flat or low sheen finish.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-14-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Those appearance alterations are very likely a vinyl wrap as has already been suggested.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yeah maybe the new ones im not up on it and not interested, at the start they were sprayed that way. Know there is lots of gloss stuff that is wrapped, Ive only been asked to polish so far.

Here is the T-Bird, and it is never gonna be flat black. One of the grand kids aboard. They all like to drive it.

20171221_115711.jpg
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

One of the local exotic car dealers places cars in the mall, I was looking at a Maserati Ghibili displayed in the mall, the car featured a flat black wrap job for only $9k additional added to the sticker price. I am a serious car guy and cannot understand the fascination with flat wraps..

We get a lot of flat black cars around here, but they are usually 10 year old Altimas and such. Many have just used primer.

What made me notice was doing it to new expensive cars.

PS: My brother says 'not a chance', if he brings home the Bentley, which is still in negotiation.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

While doing a full wrap isn't inexpensive, it's considerably less money than a full repaint...and reversible. Partials are also somewhat popular with some folks, such as just the roof to make a two-toned vehicle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...