Thread: Switching between normal TV speaker sound and an Audio/Visual system?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Switching between normal TV speaker sound and an Audio/Visual system?

I am thinking about making the break from my normal 2 channel stereo and tv setup to a simple home theatre 5.1 system with just an AV receiver, Blu Ray player and 5.1 speaker system. I'm thinking of using a Yamaha TSR-5830 for the receiver (or something along those lines).

My initial question is more general - in terms of hook-up, it seems the easiest way to handle it is to use all HDMI. One HDMI from the cable box into the receiver, another HDMI from the Blu-Ray into the receiver, and a third HDMI from the receiver into the TV? But this would not allow me to switch from the home theater sound to just the normal TV sound speakers? I know it seems silly, but the television is used mainly for news, a few sitcoms, and cartoons with the grandkids – things I would like not to waste the extra power consumption of the AV receiver, etc on.

I'd like to be able to switch between the television speakers and the home theater system easily. Unfortunately, I think our DirectTV DVR box does not have more that one HDMI out - otherwise that may have taken care of this? So what is the best way to do this? Preferably still using all HDMI to keep the number of cables down to a minimum?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-14-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: transposed model number
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney