Thread: Move over Nordfab?

Move over Nordfab?

Just viewing the Oneida-air site and came across this:
    "Gorilla Duct® Quick-Clamp Together Ductwork"

Looks exactly like Nordfab, down to pretty much all the same parts and fittings. Interesting, that.

Lots of companies make that style pipe and fittings.

It looks like Nordfab because...well...

Really. The last quick disconnect I ordered from them says Nordfab right on it. And it really is good stuff. Expensive, but if I ever moved my shop, I'd seriously consider making the investment for both the easy install and easy modification.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, that would explain why it looks just like it (and why it states it will work well with existing nordfab).

I don't understand the hype on the Nordfab stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Not so much "hype" as an alternative system that provides heavy duty metal duct work that goes together quickly and easily with the addition of easy/simple changes...it all clamps together and doesn't leak, either. But that convenience comes at a price, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You are prob just happy with what you have is all and are good at installing it. Its FAR easier to install than spiral or PVC for me. Its flipping amazing to install (especially at 17' up on a lift by yourself!!!), and when you want to move a machine its so easy to do that. Really is super sweet. CRAZY priced new though. Out of reach priced for most and the larger dia the pipe the higher the price climbs. Installed its complete smooth wall inside, much smoother than the spiral pipe I have too even. Too each his own though - Its your shop make yourself happy. The quality is on par with the best available.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I understand that dairy pipe which looks much the same but is much heavier duty and the screw clamps are made of "dairy metal" this is a special no rust metal invented before stainless steel. It is mostly silver.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not so much "hype" as an alternative system that provides heavy duty metal duct work that goes together quickly and easily with the addition of easy/simple changes...it all clamps together and doesn't leak, either. But that convenience comes at a price, of course.
    How often are you changing things to justify the cost? As far as I know, and I may be wrong on, there's no performance to be gained.

Spiral pipe, you zip a couple of screws in and you're done. Clamps aren't easy enough to justify the cost in my mind.

Hence, I don't understand the hype.

How often are you changing things to justify the cost? As far as I know, and I may be wrong on, there's no performance to be gained.

Spiral pipe, you zip a couple of screws in and you're done. Clamps aren't easy enough to justify the cost in my mind.

Hence, I don't understand the hype.
    Martin, if the fittings all slid together easily I'd agree. I am going to be moving into a new much larger space next year, I currently have Oneida snap lock pipe and fittings and some slide together nicely and some took 20 minutes to get together, complete pain. I will either be using spiral or Nordfab in the new shop. Maybe I can find a supplier near me to check how fittings go together with the spiral pipe.

I'm not a fan of snap together pipe, but the cost difference between the nordfab style and spiral isn't justifiable by me. I bought 80' of 6" spiral and a 8-10 miscellaneous mandrel bent and gasketed fittings last week. $250+ shipping. $250 doesn't go very far in the quick connect options.

It might not be that much different in cost in smaller pipe, but it gets out of hand quick on bigger pipe from what I've seen.

Not related, but if you go big enough with spiral, they'll roll it on-site. I haven't seen it personally, only heard of it when shops are running 30" trunk lines.

I'm just not changing stuff enough to offset the cost.

I'm a spiral guy but you need to buy the right fittings. Kenncraft seems to fit well as do most Oneida. Some others are inside/inside and sized small ( maybe metric ). Once you find a fitting source that works well with your spiral, stay with it. My HVAC company also has a boneyard of spiral pieces stored from commercial jobs so I mix some new with odd pieces and the cost isn't bad. Dave

I'm not a fan of snap together pipe, but the cost difference between the nordfab style and spiral isn't justifiable by me. I bought 80' of 6" spiral and a 8-10 miscellaneous mandrel bent and gasketed fittings last week. $250+ shipping. $250 doesn't go very far in the quick connect options.

It might not be that much different in cost in smaller pipe, but it gets out of hand quick on bigger pipe from what I've seen.

Not related, but if you go big enough with spiral, they'll roll it on-site. I haven't seen it personally, only heard of it when shops are running 30" trunk lines.

I'm just not changing stuff enough to offset the cost.
    I keep wanting to go Nordfab but the costs are way up there. Where did you order the spiral for that? Air Handing Systems was expensive I thought. I live in the Phoenix area, someone locally must roll it in Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I keep wanting to go Nordfab but the costs are way up there. Where did you order the spiral for that? Air Handing Systems was expensive I thought. I live in the Phoenix area, someone locally must roll it in Phoenix.
    Find whoever does it locally. Spiral Manufacturing is local for me. Phoenix is way bigger than the Minneapolis metro area, there's got to be somebody.

I get everything at wholesale price through a hvac buddy. It wouldn't be hard to open an account myself though.