Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0838 vs G0766

You might consider visiting a wood working club. This one I am familiar with - ocwoodworkers.org. Sept 20th turners meeting will have a past president of AAW (American Association of Woodturners) as the demonstrator. If you are considering used, good deals are often available from club members plus a wealth of knowledge - over 200 members.

John
    i will have to agree on the length of the vase from a log but if you are looking do segmented vase then you should be able to turn a 21” to 22” vase with out the extension and yes I have a little experience with this my first lathe was a midi and I was able to turn a 14” vase on it you glue it up in two halves and turn the inside and the glue it together and turn the outside picture to prove it
    it CBF572EF-4592-4BE9-9C3C-48FCC33D7985.jpg72DFE19A-1B08-4F57-84A9-73E4E643E28B.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Buxton; 09-15-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Keith and Scott, very nice work and great examples of what is possible (not only in my mind but in reality).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    You might consider visiting a wood working club. This one I am familiar with - ocwoodworkers.org. Sept 20th turners meeting will have a past president of AAW (American Association of Woodturners) as the demonstrator. If you are considering used, good deals are often available from club members plus a wealth of knowledge - over 200 members.
    Joe, yes, that is high on my list of things to do and I appreciate the recommendation. I have been in the midst of remodeling my home but I will see if I can carve out the time to attend.

Thanks,

I posed the question here some time back on how often you turn large pieces. Answers were varied. I was looking at the 766 at the time. Ended up getting the 838 with the extension. That makes it 47 long and mounting the extension low you can go 28 inch bowl or platter. Came in early August and haven't had much time on it yet nor have I mounted the extension. I really enjoyed it for what little I have had time to try it. Harvest is getting into full swing so it will be a bit before I can give it a strong work out. I do know for fact it is better than what I have been using.

Thanks Paul for your input on your experience with the 838. I am still on the fence on which way to go, but I hope to fall off one side or the other in the near future.

If I was buying between these 2 choices, I'd probably go with the 766. The spec that jumps out most for me (maybe not for you) is the swing over the banjo is 11.5" on the 838 versus 18" on the 766 model. Makes it easier to shear scrap a piece with wobble after reversing if you have plenty of room to position the banjo & tool rest. Plus, if you like dropping the tool handle, you have a lot more room to do so when doing a bowl or platter.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you all for your replies. Still turning on my Oliver 159 which is doing well but still thinking a more modern lathe is in my future in addition to the 159.