Thread: Proofs for laser engraving

Proofs for laser engraving

What do you recommend for making proofs for laser engravings (on wood) ?
    I have used vcarve before but it's not very good for detail as well as being cumbersome and slow.

sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by Bart Black; 09-19-2018 at 9:21 AM. Reason: dupe

I send email proofs for nearly every job we do. I print them as a PDF with the layout rasterized. 90% of my proofs are B&W. For more complicated projects or for customers that I question whether they'll "get it" I'll send something that looks more like a rendering.

Proofs are a life saver in this industry and any industry which is highly customized and personalized. It's so easy to make a mistake that getting extra eyes on the layout and making sure it meets the customer's expectation is paramount. It's well worth the extra bit of effort. It cuts waste and issues down big time.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I guess I should clarify some more. I could sent a black and white proof like what I use to send to the laser but that proof isn't like the product because it's isn't wood tone or wood grain.

With vcarve you can easily create proofs for carved signs, it pretty representative of the product and super easy to do. I know you can create a wood-grain engraved image from a lot of photo-edit s/w but it's pretty involved and not viable for production at least in the ways I know.

So do you wood engravers send wood-like proofs, just b/w or something else?

In the rare times I need something like what you are talking about, I'll get a picture of the item or similar one and overlay the engraving onto it.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I use b/w proofs except for some rare, extra special, long-term customers when I will use a photo editor and a wood grain layer. Photograv can also create a simulation for you,
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Black View Post
    I guess I should clarify some more. I could sent a black and white proof like what I use to send to the laser but that proof isn't like the product because it's isn't wood tone or wood grain.

With vcarve you can easily create proofs for carved signs, it pretty representative of the product and super easy to do. I know you can create a wood-grain engraved image from a lot of photo-edit s/w but it's pretty involved and not viable for production at least in the ways I know.

So do you wood engravers send wood-like proofs, just b/w or something else?
    If I were doing a 50 pc run on a moderately expensive item, I'd do a rendering to give a good idea what it would look like. I'd take the product image or a texture from Google image search and throw it in the background and adjust the engraving so be a close to accurate color and send them the same rasterized PDF.

If I'm doing 1 pc for a customer that saw the product in my shop, I'm sending them BW.

One thing to mention, the more elaborate the proof, the less the customer focuses on the details. They'll just look and say "oh wow, that looks nice". With a straight BW proof, there is less distraction so they are focused in on the actual engraving. Also, rendered proofs are just more work. You make it pretty for the picture and then have to undo half the work to make it BW. It's wasted time and generally I consider it more of a sales tool than anything.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I only graphic proof wood jobs, and always with the same disclaimer: Laser engraving wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes dark, sometimes light, sometimes variegated, sometimes perfect.

I don't want to be held accountable when walnut that was expected to engrave darker, doesn't...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Laser engraving wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes dark, sometimes light, sometimes variegated, sometimes perfect.

I don't want to be held accountable when walnut that was expected to engrave darker, doesn't...
    Or when they tell you it's solid cherry and it's microlaminate cherry look-a-like on top of pressed sawdust from China
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    or when your customer says she bought 9 plaques and there are 5 different materials? From cheap lam, to good piano finish. And wants them to look the same.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others