Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Aldis chisels

Steven,

You shouldn't have! I went out to get the mail and found these on my garage floor. I think I will use them for Christmas tree ornaments this year. Thank You!

IMG_3040.jpg

He really means it...you shouldn't have! Let's see: 6 X $7 = $42. Just about enough to buy a real chisel. And by the way, I made the mistake of buying them too.

Just for clarity, do you mean the Lee Valley plastic handled chisels, or the Veritas from Lee Valley? I struggle to see how these could be better than the Veritas.

Just josh'n ya.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Just josh'n ya.
    Is it well known about this phrase being born of a true tale including a file, nickels, a man named Josh who could neither hear or speak with a little gold tossed in?

1883 was an interesting year.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For cheap current production chisels, I prefer the blue Irwins over the Aldi and that isn't sarcasm.

My local Aldi has the chisels in stock and they have wooden handles. Aldi much just be messin' with Paul

Good carving tools are $30 + per piece, I don't know why good chisels should be any different.
    Last edited by Warren West; 09-19-2018 at 7:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    Just for clarity, do you mean the Lee Valley plastic handled chisels, or the Veritas from Lee Valley? I struggle to see how these could be better than the Veritas.
    The Aldi chisels better than the LV made in Japan yellow plastic handle chisels?

May be, may be not, because I have had no experience with the Aldi chisels. I found the yellow handle LV chisels reasonable in terms of honing and keeping their edges.

The Aldi chisels better than the PMV11 chisels?

Nonsense. Unless my Japanese saloon car can outrun a GranTurismo.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is it well known about this phrase being born of a true tale including a file, nickels, a man named Josh who could neither hear or speak with a little gold tossed in?

1883 was an interesting year.

jtk
    Jim- please elaborate.
    thanks - Bill

The LV chisels have so many peculiar features one could write a chapter on it. Here are some notes on the handle. The handle is made of hard maple. The Aldi's are of beech. There is a reason why beech has been used for centuries for handles. Beech absorbs shock much better than hard maple. It is just a much better wood. Ash also absorbs shock and is also a traditional wood. For a guy who just screws around once in a while it doesn't make much difference, but for someone using a tool regularly there is a danger of overuse injury with a wood that transmits shock. Beech is less tiring, easier on joints tenons and such.

The LV designers thought it was important to have the chisel balance at the ferrule. This is not a traditional feature for chisels. A 1" chisel blade is nearly four times that of a 1/4 " chisel, but the handle is not nearly twice as big. So for narrow chisels (and carving tools), the balance point is in back of the bolster, and for wider chisels the balance point is in front of the bolster and the chisel rocks forward so the blade is on the bench. In order to contrive a balance point at the ferrule, LV people had to make the handle especially fat for wide chisels and beef up the thickness of the blade for narrow chisels. These are not good trade offs.

There are lots more things like this, but the main theme is that it is foolish to change a design without appreciating its sophistication and wisdom. In merely copying older chisels, the Chinese factory that makes the Aldi chisels avoids a lot of pitfalls.

I have to disagree, I love the balance of the Veritas chisels and the handles feel great in my hands. I know it's kind of a personal thing, but your experience doesn't mirror mine. I use the Wood is Good mallet, so I don't notice the shock you mentioned either. My left hand definitely is less tired after using the Veritas versus my Narex ones.

In case anyone is still interested the Garden City, MI Aldis had several packages of the chisels on their shelf Monday.

I bought a set two years ago and don't need more. They work OK for my needs. We were just out of coffee. And milk. And cheese. And I brought my daughter to help carry everything.

I still hate Aldis. When I go in right by the front door they have all the chocolate. Chocolate with almonds. With hazelnuts. White chocolate. Dark chocolate. Mmmmmmm. Those people are pure evil!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    snip
    I still hate Aldis. When I go in right by the front door they have all the chocolate. Chocolate with almonds. With hazelnuts. White chocolate. Dark chocolate. Mmmmmmm. Those people are pure evil!

-Tom
    Also some varieties of trail mix I haven’t seen elsewhere that are really good.

I always feel really satisfied when I buy a cheap tool that works reasonably well.

I limit my time on forums because half the advice is always the same (if anybody actually answers the question you ask in the first place rather than telling you the way you should do it instead) and that advice is always to buy more expensive tools. I’m human and can sucked into that mentality too, but I feel best and like my tools a lot better when I feel like I get a bargain and am not buying the hype.

If however you’re a pro or an established hobbiest, then you don’t need my advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Jim- please elaborate.
    thanks - Bill
    There are many different versions of the same story:

https://truewestmagazine.com/josh-tatums-con/

This one does not mention filing the reeding on the edge of the coins.

Supposedly the original falsified coins had reeding added with a file to more resemble the $5 gold coin. Many of these ended up destroyed by the U.S. Treasury Dept. Of course later there was a market for "racketeer nickels" sold to curiosity seekers and collectors. This caused a lot of the first edition of the 1883 Liberty nickels to be electroplated with a thin layer of gold and sold to collectors.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)