Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldis chisels

Aldis chisels

Has anyone here bought the chisels from Aldis

I bought two sets last year, honed them up to try out. Haven't touch them since. They're overrated in performance but I guess the low price is right.
    That said, I went to the local Aldi's yesterday to find a set to compare to last year--maybe it's somehow "improved". Alas, the store didn't have any in stock.

They rotate their stuff in the stores seasonally so you never know when they'll be there. I bought a set last year and use them for rough work. They are a good value, but not a substitute for high quality chisels. But for me, they are OK.

I have a couple sets that I use for rough tasks and operations that might damage one of my pride and joy Butchers. They seem to hold up OK in rough use.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Have two set...one more for chopping..the other is set up for paring. One set is almost 3 years old, the other is almost 2. Been in use since I bought them. A quick hone now and then, ready to go.

The Aldis in my area had the chisels for sale yesterday. Picked up my second set to make some skew chisels like Mike did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Has anyone here bought the chisels from Aldis
    Oh brother!

Blog Entries
    When they open a store in my area, maybe they will get a test drive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bought two sets yesterday. Opened one and flattened the backs (about an hour in total, had to use coarse DMT). Did not work the bevels. Took the largest (.940") and the next to narrowest (about .320) to my plant to check the hardhess. Widest chisel test at 57 HRc and the other at 54 HRc. Hardness was check on a computerized Rockwell hardness tester, calibrated just last week by outside vendor (I have two Rockwell testers).

If you look at a Grizzly catalog, these chisels are identical to the Grizz Steelex brand, but at less than 1/4th the cost. The Aldi's are a bargain at $6.99/set, perfect for a tool box or roughing set. Two of the four have side lands that are thin enough to wiggle into tight dovetail clean-ups.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    The Aldis in my area had the chisels for sale yesterday. Picked up my second set to make some skew chisels like Mike did in the past.
    Could you expound on that ?
    I would like to make some skew chisels!
    Carpe Lignum

Hi Phil, I am going to take the chisel and cut the tip off at a 15degree angle for a right handed user with a Dremel and cutoff tool. Meaning the tip of the chisel will be leading in the upper left side of the tip. Then regrind the bevel back onto the tip . to follow the tip. I will keep the sharpened angle at about 22 degrees for paring.
    I will use these chisels for cleaning out corners in dovetails and mortices. On my nest set I buy I will make some left handed chisels to go with the right handed set.
    A fellow on the site Mike Brady, made a short video on how he did his chisels the same way.

Blog Entries
    I am going to take the chisel and cut the tip off at a 15degree angle for a right handed user with a Dremel and cutoff tool. Meaning the tip of the chisel will be leading in the upper left side of the tip. Then regrind the bevel back onto the tip .
    You might find it easier to use your grinder with the blade held at an angle to the axis of the wheel to shape a new bevel than to cut the tip with a Dremel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I may do that Jim. Appreciate the tip.

I got a set and am not impressed.

Knowing what I know now.... Skip them.

15. RED ALERT!

Just read a blurb from Paul Sellers that Aldi has changed their chisels, and not for the better. He reports that they may be okay for some roughing carpentry but not for finer work. They have plastic handles now, too.

Here's a quote from Sellers blog:

"My wooden handled Aldis are refined to a level I like and they have been truly well proven at my bench over the best part of a decade to date. There is nothing snobby or pretentious about them and I am hoping that Aldi will recant and restock periodically with them as in past years and not consider the ugly plastic handled versions above as a legitimate replacement for the better. Steel capped, they may work for some in the construction trades,but for the amateur they are far from appropriate. I say that without wishing to offend anyone. By that I mean some chisels will be used for hacking out pressed fibreboard and MDF mouldings amidst concrete and brick dust, places where I would not want my Marples chisels to be."

See https://paulsellers.com/2018/09/whats-a-chisel-worth/
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron