Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Aldis chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    I have to wonder how many sets of premium chisels could have been purchased with the aggregate time in dollar value expended on talking about cheap chisels.
    Good question. This topic has been hashed out before, it will happen again, and it gets everyone exactly nowhere. However, it does seem to stir the juices and people seem to derive a lot of pleasure from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    However, it does seem to stir the juices and people seem to derive a lot of pleasure from it.
    That is part of the fun of visiting or taking part in a forum/forum discussion. Technical aspects are relatively dry and static, but not people's opinions.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    I have to wonder how many sets of premium chisels could have been purchased with the aggregate time in dollar value expended on talking about cheap chisels.
    Not as many as the time one would spend to fettle a set of cheap chisels into the look and feel of a set of premium chisels could buy.

Currently a Woodriver set of 6 chisels is $59.99. Not really my style, but likely to be a bit better finished. They are listed in inch sizes which is fine with me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As always great info Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It has been my honor to receive a set of the famous (infamous?) Aldi chisels from another member

Not much of my time was spent on flattening the backs more than getting rid of the deepest scratches. My tendency is to work on that over time. A few hours was spent on getting them into shape. A bit more time was used because the two largest chisels tended to roll or chip after the first few times sharpening. The edges seemed to settle down after repeated sharpening.

This was after the third sharpening. After a few more trips to the stones it settled down and started cutting the same piece without the drama.

They take a decent edge. Shaving arm hair or wood they can hold their own:

This is pine. The end grain has been pared smooth.

So it really gets down to what a person wants in their shop. For inexpensive useable chisels in only a few sizes, the Aldi chisels can be a good deal. If you like something that feels like it belongs in your hand and can sneak into those tight corners, you will likely have to spend a lot more.

The Aldi chisels do seem to have a supply limitation and may be unavailable during the year. So if you want them, get them when you can.

jtk
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words Phil and the experience.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)