Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Aldis chisels

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    If one is afraid to use their "good" chisels to do a bit of honest work, and save the hard work for "lesser" chisels....what good is the "Good Chisel" for? looking pretty in a display rack? IF I get a tool in the shop, it is for doing the job....do I "LOVE" the tools? No..I have no intention of marrying a tool....I intend to put it to work, and make it earn it's keep....otherwise, why bother. I could just as well post a picture on a wall of "Pretty Tools"...have other things to do.
    +1 followed by 100 zeroes, or a googol.

I am also the guy in the neighborhood who loans his tools (most) for others to use.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-22-2018 at 9:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    Jim, a nice concise writeup. This should be a reference for the inevitable Aldi chisel threads to come.

"Frugalman's Macro Lens." That gave me a chuckle! In all seriousness, what is it that you are using? magnifying glass? Glass scrap? I really would like to have a frugal macro lens myself since I am limited to an iPhone 5s I inherited.

Thanks!

Vince
    Thanks for the kind words Vincent. The lens being used was salvaged from an old projector lens. My brother used to do a lot of salvage work and gave me this and another lens. Both of them have been very useful over the years. The other one is flat on one side and was used mostly during my coin collecting days. It could be set on top of the display cases dealers used at coin shows to view a coin without having to have it removed from the case.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Some of Steven

Hmmm. Been using mine for several YEARS, now.....Liked the first set well enough, that I bought the second set a while back. Both sets see a lot of use..not just in pine, but other hardwoods like Oak, and Ash.
    My primary wood is pine or fir, so that was what was used. My last project in a true hardwood was a saw handle.

Maybe it is in the way one USES these chisels? Beater chisels? I have an entire drawer of such "beater chisels" I could use for the "rougher" work. Could also just use an old wide screwdriver.
    My old wide screwdrivers are saved for what they were intended to do, turning large threaded fasteners. Besides they do not hold an edge well.

I treat my sets of the Aldi's AS real chisels....rather than treat them like junk. More interested in HOW a tool does it's job, than whose name happens to be on them. Anyone can print a name on anything, declare it the finest since sliced bread.
    Many of my "beater" chisels are fine chisels in their own right. They are not treated like junk. Like the Aldi chisels many of them have tall lands that do not play well when one wants to make clean looking dovetails.

None of my chisels are treated like junk. My name for my unassigned chisels may be misleading. Some of them are stout enough that they can survive being driving with a small sledge, hence the beating some of them can take is what gave them the name.

My Sandvik chisels reside in the "beater chisel" drawer, but they are not "beaters."

The Aldi 8mm chisel will not do a good job of cutting a 1/4" dado, unless one doesn't mind something rattling in the dado. Maybe we could buy a few sets and grind them down to the sizes we need. (or we could buy them from a maker who puts a little more effort into controlling the size of their product.

My paring chisels are seldom driven with a mallet. When they are, they are not struck hard, they a lightly tapped. If a mortise is to be cut, my preference is a mortise chisel. If a person feels better chopping a mortise with a bench chisel that is their right. My paring chisels have bevels in the 15-20º range. Not good for beating through a knot or other obstruction.

Handles? These fit my hands, that is all that counts, as for as a handle is concerned. If a handle doesn't fit the hand, or makes the hand hurt using it....it is either changed, or it is tossed into that drawer..
    This is the reason for my preference for socket chisels. My right hand has an old injury that makes many handles very uncomfortable. My solution is to make my own handles.

If one is afraid to use their "good" chisels to do a bit of honest work, and save the hard work for "lesser" chisels....what good is the "Good Chisel" for? looking pretty in a display rack? IF I get a tool in the shop, it is for doing the job....do I "LOVE" the tools? No..I have no intention of marrying a tool....I intend to put it to work, and make it earn it's keep....otherwise, why bother. I could just as well post a picture on a wall of "Pretty Tools"...have other things to do.
    When one is out to hunt bear they do not arm them self with a small pocket knife. When one wants to make tight fitting dovetails, one doesn't use a mortising chisel. When there is chisel work to be done on a stump, railroad tie or other piece that may have imbedded nails and other hardware, my paring chisels could do the work, but my sensibilities tell me a stouter chisel will not only do the job better, but will likely suffer less edge damage due to the higher bevel angle. Some of my "rough work" chisels have a bevel of 35º.

Just like when a person wants to go on dirt roads and do some hill climbing they do not take the family Cadillac, they take the 4WD. "Oh no, the Cadillac must be an inferior product if it can't take on a few hills and a little mud." Yea Right. The same person will not likely arrive at a social event in their mud spattered Land Rover.

Simpson showed you how to use a file, to change a chisels lands to suit. For those that claim to grind the edges off to make a scraper....Odd Lots sells cheap lathe tools, you could even use the one in that set AS a scraper.....since that is how it was made.
    What is the lament of so many who prefer a new plane over an old Stanley/Bailey? Oh yea, my time is more important to me than what it costs to buy something that works right out of the box.

One part left out of my post on using the Aldi chisels is being able to cut it with an old auger file. So maybe if the mismatched bevels and high lands on these chisels bothered a person, there is a solution. Hours at the bench taking off a bit of metal. The other solution would be to seek out chisels that were already made with proper attention to such details. If they are good, they likely hardened it to where most files will roll right over the metal.

One thing that is likely to change is the cost of these if they are affected by the new tariffs. Maybe they will remain less than $10 for a set.

Another seems to be these are often reported as being out of stock. Guess those dovetails can wait until they get more in stock?

Yes, if one wants a set of chisels to show off in their shop Woodcraft has a nice boxed set of Tasai Damascas Pattern Blue Steel Multi-Hollow Back Chisel Set priced in the $4,000 range.

There are many choices in between the Aldi and the Tasai.

My focus on attention to detail in my work can become distracted if the tool in my hand is not comfortable, if the metal is abrading my fingers, or if it is of the wrong design for the job at hand.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-22-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, if one wants a set of chisels to show off in their shop Woodcraft has a nice boxed set of Tasai Damascas Pattern Blue Steel Multi-Hollow Back Chisel Set priced in the $4,000 range.

jtk
    Holy moly.

I think there's a typo there: "blue steel" should be "pure gold." I wonder if WC would consider a trade (I am not calling Veritas in view of this new information).

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    " Originally Posted by Jim Koepke: It has been my honor to receive a set of the famous (infamous?) Aldi chisels from another member.

These are mass produced in Chinese factories were people do not earn what we would consider a great wage. The makers are not putting anything extra in the making of this product. My first thought on a way to cut cost was to forget the lacquer coating. Then it came to me this was necessary to keep the steel from rusting in shipping.

When a premium chisel is purchased the hoops and ferrules are likely of a more substantial material.
    The bevels are likely better balanced.
    The set up time will likely be considerably less.
    If the chisels are made for paring they will have lower, and equal, side lands.
    The metal and handles should be much better finished.
    The sizing will likely be closer to what the label indicates.
    For me, most of my wood still comes in inch sizes so the metric sizing isn't my choice. For many things it doesn't really matter.
    For some folks a minimal set is fine. For myself, if chisels were readily available in 1/16" increments my accumulation would be larger.

So it really gets down to what a person wants in their shop. For inexpensive useable chisels in only a few sizes, the Aldi chisels can be a good deal. If you like something that feels like it belongs in your hand and can sneak into those tight corners, you will likely have to spend a lot more.

The Aldi chisels do seem to have a supply limitation and may be unavailable during the year. So if you want them, get them when you can.

jtk

Jim,

You certainly did a better job than Sellers in demystifying the Aldi chisels.

The numerous discussions about the Aldi chisels here and elsewhere tell us one thing: The star power of Sellers!

Who would've imagined that these (previously) little known chisels that might have been sold in a dollar store setting would receive such interest as well as scrutiny among woodworkers, if not for Sellers's recommendation.

Simon
    Simon, Thanks for the kind words.

There are ways to cut the cost of a product and have it still be usable.

Many folks will find a set of Aldi or even Windsor chisels are all they need to enjoy making things of wood. There are other folks who will enjoy lightly caressing the surface of their very special chisels purchased from a legendary blacksmith via a serpentine channel of connections. Some of us have a feel or impression of where our tools have been. This sensory engagement in one's mind may add to the enjoyment of fitting a tenon to its mortise. Their choice or evangelical fervor will not bother me.

When one considers the difference between the different sets of chisels on the market, there is a lot more to consider than price alone. Remember John Ruskin:

From John Ruskin Quotes. There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
    In this case one may think of exchanging the phrase, "a little less finished" for the word "worse."

The Aldi chisels would require a considerable amount of work if one wanted lower side lands. Smoothing the sides for a better feel would be another time consuming task. The sizing might be a problem. Without doing a survey of others with chisels from various batches there is no way of knowing if they are of consistent size or if they vary from batch to batch or even in the same batch.

There are many folks who like the order of having matching handles on their tools. That is as good a reason as any for wanting a better set of chisels. For me, having matching handles in a set is not an important factor. Besides, with my turning skills it amazes me to have two handles turn out the same. Most of my handles are made out of different woods. It makes it easier to pick the chisel by looking at its handle.

Some folks like the look of bronze planes on their shelf as opposed to a gathering of Stanley/Baileys with a century of patina.

We certainly shouldn't get angry or defensive about our choices or the choices of others.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I think there's a typo there: "blue steel" should be "pure gold."
    A proprietary gold alloy hardened to Rockwell 64!

jtk

I bought mine just for the *hunt*.

But, I may turn them into tree hanging poster stickers. I'll have to touch em up first, and try them out. Lol

Just saw this posted by Paul Sellers a couple of weeks ago on the internet:

"For 8 years I've recommended Aldi four part chisel sets because they were just excellent. Nice handles, good, good steel, easily refinable and 4 chisels for £8 the set. And now they've done this. No more recommended! Junk!"

Apparently he changed his mind and recommendation after seeing the rubber handles.

Simon

Rubber?? Hmm. All I've seen are wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Rubber?? Hmm. All I've seen are wood.
    Someone suggested that he get a set and change the handles...his response:"not interested. They are too thick and ugly."

The usual Sellers' style.

May be the future shipments from China will all be rubber handles...so (to those who are interested) better get some before it is too late.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-23-2018 at 8:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some of Steven

My primary wood is pine or fir, so that was what was used. My last project in a true hardwood was a saw handle.

My old wide screwdrivers are saved for what they were intended to do, turning large threaded fasteners. Besides they do not hold an edge well.

Many of my "beater" chisels are fine chisels in their own right. They are not treated like junk. Like the Aldi chisels many of them have tall lands that do not play well when one wants to make clean looking dovetails.

None of my chisels are treated like junk. My name for my unassigned chisels may be misleading. Some of them are stout enough that they can survive being driving with a small sledge, hence the beating some of them can take is what gave them the name.

My Sandvik chisels reside in the "beater chisel" drawer, but they are not "beaters."

The Aldi 8mm chisel will not do a good job of cutting a 1/4" dado, unless one doesn't mind something rattling in the dado. Maybe we could buy a few sets and grind them down to the sizes we need. (or we could buy them from a maker who puts a little more effort into controlling the size of their product.

My paring chisels are seldom driven with a mallet. When they are, they are not struck hard, they a lightly tapped. If a mortise is to be cut, my preference is a mortise chisel. If a person feels better chopping a mortise with a bench chisel that is their right. My paring chisels have bevels in the 15-20º range. Not good for beating through a knot or other obstruction.

This is the reason for my preference for socket chisels. My right hand has an old injury that makes many handles very uncomfortable. My solution is to make my own handles.

When one is out to hunt bear they do not arm them self with a small pocket knife. When one wants to make tight fitting dovetails, one doesn't use a mortising chisel. When there is chisel work to be done on a stump, railroad tie or other piece that may have imbedded nails and other hardware, my paring chisels could do the work, but my sensibilities tell me a stouter chisel will not only do the job better, but will likely suffer less edge damage due to the higher bevel angle. Some of my "rough work" chisels have a bevel of 35º.

Just like when a person wants to go on dirt roads and do some hill climbing they do not take the family Cadillac, they take the 4WD. "Oh no, the Cadillac must be an inferior product if it can't take on a few hills and a little mud." Yea Right. The same person will not likely arrive at a social event in their mud spattered Land Rover.

What is the lament of so many who prefer a new plane over an old Stanley/Bailey? Oh yea, my time is more important to me than what it costs to buy something that works right out of the box.

One part left out of my post on using the Aldi chisels is being able to cut it with an old auger file. So maybe if the mismatched bevels and high lands on these chisels bothered a person, there is a solution. Hours at the bench taking off a bit of metal. The other solution would be to seek out chisels that were already made with proper attention to such details. If they are good, they likely hardened it to where most files will roll right over the metal.

One thing that is likely to change is the cost of these if they are affected by the new tariffs. Maybe they will remain less than $10 for a set.

Another seems to be these are often reported as being out of stock. Guess those dovetails can wait until they get more in stock?

There are many choices in between the Aldi and the Tasai.

My focus on attention to detail in my work can become distracted if the tool in my hand is not comfortable, if the metal is abrading my fingers, or if it is of the wrong design for the job at hand.

jtk
    Jim; these were tapered thickness firmer chisels with full 90 degree side lands. Removing a bit of metal is an understatement.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Someone suggested that he get a set and change the handles...his response:"not interested. They are too thick and ugly."

The usual Sellers' style.

May be the future shipments from China will all be rubber handles...so (to those who are interested) better get some before it is too late.

Simon
    He must've got the rejects from Hong Kong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Jim; these were tapered thickness firmer chisels with full 90 degree side lands. Removing a bit of metal is an understatement.[U]

Stewie;
    Yes, that is a fascinating job you did on those.

My choice was to purchase chisels that were already beveled.

Fettling mettle does give me pleasure, but sometimes there are limits to how much effort will be spent. Most of my filing on wood tools is saved for saws and an occasional plane's mouth.

jtk

I have to wonder how many sets of premium chisels could have been purchased with the aggregate time in dollar value expended on talking about cheap chisels.