Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Aldis chisels

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    There is something fun about getting good work out of inexpensive tools (without having to bust your hump fettling them first).
    It seems the closer one wants to get to great out of the box performance the more one has to pay.

If one is willing to put their own time and effort into the tune up and/or rehabilitation of a chisel then there is some good steel to be had at decent prices.

At one time my budget was much more limited than it is today. Sometimes it seemed more of my time was spent rehabilitating old tools than was spent woodworking.

The time was well spent. Making a few tool buying dollars go further was only one benefit. It also gave me a better understanding of the workings of the tools.

As long as the work can be sized to the tools, it all works.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems the closer one wants to get to great out of the box performance the more one has to pay.

If one is willing to put their own time and effort into the tune up and/or rehabilitation of a chisel then there is some good steel to be had at decent prices.

At one time my budget was much more limited than it is today. Sometimes it seemed more of my time was spent rehabilitating old tools than was spent woodworking.

The time was well spent. Making a few tool buying dollars go further was only one benefit. It also gave me a better understanding of the workings of the tools.

As long as the work can be sized to the tools, it all works.

jtk
    Jim,

Every woodworker should spend time in rust purgatory. How much kinda depends on what blows your skirt. Whatever, I agree it will help your understanding of woodworking tools and may help make you a better craftsman.

ken

Blog Entries
    Two more 1" chisels were thrown in to the project:

Charles Buck & Witherby 1%22 Chisels.jpg

At the top is a Charles Buck marked chisel with a 30º bevel. The chisel in the center is Marked Witherby with a 25º bevel.

Both were good at making shavings:

Cnisel Curling.jpg

These are my two longest 1" chisels. Once again it is clear the overall length of a chisel can be an aid in controlling the chisel when paring.

The surface came out very well:

Chiseled Surface.jpg

Sometimes non-beveled chisels are my choice for paring between pins on dovetails.

Another image on using a longer chisel:

Pivot Paring.jpg

The leverage of a longer chisel can help when paring end grain. Here the chisel started inline with the surface and instead of pushing through it is pivoted. This can trim a thin shaving and then leaves an edge to register the chisel for the next cut.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-18-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Another image…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Just bought a 6 piece woodriver chisel set from woodcraft. $70 for 6 chisels on sale. Definitely not perfect some of the bevels out of square etc.. spent about 4 hours honing/sharpening all six. Glad I didn’t spend the big money. Worlds better than the various hardware store ones I’ve been getting by with. Then again, I wouldn’t really know a good chisel from a great chisel. Main thing, I’m real happy with the. And ready to use them.

Just a note about Michael Langman's post above: That was not me that made a video about converting Aldi chisels into skew chisels. I'm not sure who did that.

My opinion of these chisels is that they are better than having no chisels at all. I gave two sets away and received no "thank you" notes.

Sorry Mike, I remembered a fellow with the name Brady, a little while back . Didn't mean to confuse you with him.

Mike Baker 2, was the fellows name, who made the skew chisels from Aldis chisels. Apologise for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Just a note about Michael Langman's post above: That was not me that made a video about converting Aldi chisels into skew chisels. I'm not sure who did that.

My opinion of these chisels is that they are better than having no chisels at all. I gave two sets away and received no "thank you" notes.
    IIRC, Mike Henderson also has a good vid like that using BORG chisels as a starting point.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    So far in my experience there isn't much need for a skew chisel much larger than 1/2".

Though if someone is making larger joinery than average larger skew chisels may be handy. My first pair was made from a couple of 1/2" Witherby square sided chisels. Back when they were less expensive than they are now. My second set was made from random 1/4" chisels and is used on smaller joinery.

The Veritas Mk.11 Power Sharpening System blade holders have a way to hold a chisel at an angle for skewed blades. This made it fairly easy to make skewed chisels.

jtk

Blog Entries
    For my last post a quick stroll through the auction site to see the current market of Witherby chisels was undertaken.

Clicked on a similar item listing (No. 112872526017). These are from DrillForce instead of WorkForce:

Look Familar?.png

It looks like a cardboard box and shipping adds about $20 to the price.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-19-2018 at 1:52 AM.

Been doing clean up with one of mine...
    chiseled.jpgcleaned laps.jpg
    Half laps in White Oak.....today it was used to trim plugs flush....pants leg strop was all I needed...

YMMV