Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wood for a ping pong table?

What wood for a ping pong table?

I've been asked if I can make a ping pong table using real wood.

I'm guessing the wood should be smooth and dense. Maple comes to mind, but the client has a dark table in mind. I suppose it could be dyed, but I'd prefer to not have to do that.

What would you make that table from?

thanks, Mark

Mark,

I usually try very hard to give a client what he asks for. That's what custom furniture means to me. But in this case, function should trump form, so to speak. Doesn't a ping pomg table need to be dead flat? So -- a little pushback. A beautiful, functional ping pong table can be made as a torsion box. The skin on top should(?) be 1/4" plywood. Is plywood real wood? Is a lamination, say, of 1/4" solid wood over 1/4" plywood acceptable? Also, how heavy can it be? does it need to be foldable, portable, etc? Need more details about what the client wants

Doug

I agree with Doug...using solid stock for something like this isn't likely going to provide the "long term" satisfaction that would be expected for a game table where a change in the surface can materially affect play. The torsion box idea is a good one, IMHO, because you can construct something that's truly flat and will tend to stay that way. And using quality veneer sheet goods (or shop-made veneer over quality sheet goods) will give the desired look without the downsides of using solid wood. Doug's point about portability is also important. "Stationary", like a pool table would be, would be advantageous since you can better accommodate a very solid underpinning for the play surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A real wood base with a veneered torsion box playing surface would be how I would propose the design, based on that input. It could be as light or heavy as desired.

John

Doug, Jim - thank you for your replies, and I agree with all what you say. However the client sent me a picture of a table made with real wood, and I think this is part of what tickles his fancy. So I think I have to run with that idea for now.

Right now I'm thinking the top will be 1" to 1 1/4" thick, the apron will be in from the ends a good deal, not so much on the sides.

And yes I had better make sure a large table can get into the client's home.

Dark wood could be walnut. But walnut is a little softer than, say, maple, so it might show dings from paddle hits. I'd try a sample before I committed to it.

I just thought of sapele for the table. Any votes yay or nay?

As an avid table tennis player a hardwood table would be a real novelty! High quality tables have 1" thick plywood tops with a melamine-like coating that is a not slick but is a bit grippy. A table tennis ball, when rubbed across the table shop, should grab a bit. Ball spin is a big part of the game, the grippy surface lets a spinning ball kick off more forcefully. Hopefully your client wants this for fun & looks and not for a perfect recreation of a good table.

A maple inlay for the lines with any kind of darker wood for the main area would be beautiful.

I saw some nice ones in Portland--sorry the picture isn't better, but the first is veneered plywood, and the other two are solid walnut. IIRC, they were around 1.25" to 1.5" thick, $5k-$7k, and they weighed over 400 pounds. It looked like the plywood one was two sheets joined underneath the net. All of them had metal bases.

IMG_6290.jpg

This designer has one pictured on his website, and I believe he built a version for a reality TV show called "Framework":

http://www.jorybrigham.com/mackenrow

I played on some of the solid wood tables similar to what Jesse shows in the photo (the chamfered edge). They were on a ship in Norway (very humid) and fabricated from solid Honduran Mahogany. They were drop dead gorgeous and dead flat. As a lifelong table tennis player, I was taken aback. They played beautifully.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Would the client be open to a butcher block type construction? That may move less than larger wider boards. It'd look like a big bowling alley.

I found the website for that place in Portland: https://www.thegoodmod.com/collectio...nference-table

Sapele flatsawn is gorgeous - full of chatoyance - but it sometimes has stresses built in so it moves a lot when you rip it or plane it. It might be challenging for a ping pong table. Quartersawn sapele is much more stable, but it is not as pretty IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Who knew people loved table tennis so much?

Really cool stuff out there

Mitchell - if the job happens I'll probably use boards 6" - 7" wide. The table would be 60" wide, not sure I want to glue up so many narrower strips.

Jesse - thanks for the link. Impressive work.

Jamie - I agree. I prefer flatsawn sapele over QS.