Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craigslist Frustration

Blog Entries
    I know a great many people have made peace with the 16/32. Given the belt tracking, dust collection and abrasive changing horror stories I read over the years I went straight to the Supermax 19/38 and love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You are trying to buy at the apparent bottom of the market in your area. Anytime you are doing that you will simply have to be the quickest, this can be very difficult for people with a ~9-5 and a family. It may be better for you in the big picture to move on from what you feel are overpriced 16/32s and figure a way to adjust the budget if it is a tool you need or really want. Personally, I think CL is being kind to you by not letting you buy a 16/32...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I know a great many people have made peace with the 16/32. Given the belt tracking, dust collection and abrasive changing horror stories I read over the years I went straight to the Supermax 19/38 and love it.

Glenn
    I had one for a few years and as I said earlier, I really regret getting rid of it. The dust collection, while not fantastic, did work, but you need a true dust collector and not a shop vac. Sanders are the worst for dust collection in my opinion.
    I never understood all the problems folks had with changing the sand paper. I changed hundreds of rolls while I had mine and never had any issues. It only took a few minutes to remove and replace a roll.
    I never had issues with the belt tracking.

I ran 10', long 14", wide, 1" thick Jatoba boards through mine for one project. I think I've pushed one to it's limits. Those boards were heavy.
    The following are all of the projects involved in our library. All of them were done using a Performax 16-32. It will do a lot more than just thin veneers and small objects.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hed&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....oor&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ong&highlight=
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-14-2018 at 4:47 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

4. How much frustration are you willing to put up with for $50-200. For me not all that much. On the other hand some of the difference may be the condition they are in.

How long has the frustration been going on? Here is a suggestion that just might work. Every time you miss one of the ones in the range you want to pay, set aside another $50 and add it to the amount you are willing to pay. If you don't feel the ones on offer are worth the newly raised amount just pass on them. If you don't find a used one you want you will eventually have raised your budget enough to buy a new one. That or just bite the bullet now and buy a new one now. It will have a warranty and the joy of using a brand new machine.

I've had my 16-32 (Supermax) for several months now, zero problems. Even sanding pieces wider than 16" works better than I expected.

UGH ... OK. Beginning to rethink my approach here. Thanks folks.

If the people in category 1 sell their sanders without lowering the price, then that is a fair price. Trying to buy one for less that fair price will be a continuing frustration.

I had a friend once who took his house off the market after 6 months because he couldn't get a fair price. There was nothing unusual about his house; he just couldn't get a high price. You are the opposite.

I am out in the sticks and have to ask 60% of a fair price or I will never sell anything. Now THAT is frustrating. I have to put small things on eBay to get a decent price, and i would just as soon throw them out as deal with eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I never understood all the problems folks had with changing the sand paper.
    I have a Supermax 19/38. I can't say about the others, but my problem has always been being too dumb to remember which direction to start the new roll from. Left to right? Why does the roll not fit tight???? Repeat for an hour in full on frustration mode, before trying from the other direction.

I'm also too stubborn to leave some notes for myself as well.

Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    I have a Supermax 19/38. I can't say about the others, but my problem has always been being too dumb to remember which direction to start the new roll from. Left to right? Why does the roll not fit tight???? Repeat for an hour in full on frustration mode, before trying from the other direction.

I'm also too stubborn to leave some notes for myself as well.

Ah well.
    Always put it on starting on the left side, always take it off starting on the right side. That's my rule and I'm stickin' to it.

Just checked my local Cl, and found a Ryobi 16" for $550, a Delta 18" for $450, and.....wait for it........a General International 24" double drum sander for $975. And it looks like new.

Bet that one will go fast.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My advice would be to hang in there and keep looking. I saved the search on kijiji on my phone's browser and after a month of looking I found a Delta 18/36 drum sander 90 minutes drive from where I live for 350 Canadian dollars. I was the first caller and set up a meet, jumped in the truck and bingo, I got to his house and he still had the sander. He had answered about 30 calls since the time I phoned him so he wouldn't haggle but I didn't mind. When I got it home I replaced the gears to set the platen up and down and it has worked perfectly for me since then. It adjusts to sand veneers too so that is an added bonus.
    Last edited by Lyle Moore; 09-25-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Do a Craig’s list search of the country and see what that sander is selling for to review fair pricing. Then consider what a fair price is that you are willing to go or if the seller is asking a reasonable price for the condition it’s in. Just remember what you want to pay is not always what things are going for.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006