Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Frustration

Craigslist Frustration

I am in the market for a used 16/32 drum sander. Every time one comes up for sale, one of two things happen:

1. They price it in the 550-700 range and won't budge on price, or
    2. It's priced at 500 or under and I miss the sale.

It's the folks in category 1 that frustrate the beejesus out of me. Am I wrong in thinking that someone's 12-15 year old Performax 16/32 just isn't worth 600?

I would not pay more than $500 for one that old, unless it was obviously very lightly used and in excellent condition, because by my math that's where I'd shift to considering paying the price of new. But, the value of a machine in the market is what others are willing to pay for it, not what I say it is. And even old, well used, Performax machines do attract buyers at $700-800.

For what it's worth, I have one craigslist bargain machine in my shop where I snapped up something because of the price without a thorough evaluation of the tool. I got what I paid for. Those sub-$500 machines may not be the lost bargain you imagine.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 09-13-2018 at 9:06 AM.

What you think is fair price is 1/3 of the equation--the other 2/3 are what the seller and other buyers think. Either you need to up your budget or be prepare to wait and be quick on the next listing, and not waste energy being frustrated.

SearchTempest does help me find stuff faster on craigslist.
    Bill D

If someone can get $700 for a used drum sander then, by definition, that is what it is worth. Get over it. I see the same thing in my area with used cabinet saws. There is a certain magical appeal about these machines that is unwarranted in my view.

I got my Performax 16/32 on sale for $1000 last year. I'm not sure if that will continue now that they're owned by Laguna but it might be worth waiting out.

When I'm looking at buying something major off Craigslist I look at where the person lives first. I live near Vancouver B.C. ,a fairly large city so the buying audience if quite large. However, as one progresses into the suburbs the audience shrinks.Many from the city won't drive 30-50 miles to look at something. So I often will make a "rediculously" low bid-up to 1/2 of the asking price. One of three things will happen.They will either tell me to bugger off, or they will come back with a counter offer, or has happened on occasion they will accept. I also look for items that have been on for a while. You NEVER know WHY people are selling.
    Case in point is last week my wife suggested I put 3 bikes on Craigslist for free. We don't ride anymore and they were in the way. So I advertised all 3 for 25 each.Guy offered 50 for all 3 and I took it.

Expand your search and be willing to drive. Analyze what is coming with it. MObil stand, extension wings and rolls of paper will definitely up the price.
    I sold my Perfomax 16-32 many years ago when I bought a dual drum sander, and it is the only item I've ever sold, that I truly regret. I really wish I had never sold it. They're limited in what they can do, but what they're limited to, they do very well.
    If I still had it today, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than that asking prices you're seeing
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I got my Performax 16/32 on sale for $1000 last year. I'm not sure if that will continue now that they're owned by Laguna but it might be worth waiting out.
    Did you mean that Laguna bought Supermax? The SuperMax 16/32s seem to about $1200 right now

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    Did you mean that Laguna bought Supermax? The SuperMax 16/32s seem to about $1200 right now
    Yup, and add the extension tables to that.

The thing about used is you might get a bunch of sandpaper in the deal. In my area, though, used drum sanders are like hens' teeth. When I moved up to the 16-32, even my Jet 10-20 sold within 24 hours.
    Last edited by Nick Decker; 09-13-2018 at 1:31 PM.

Why be frustrated at #2? Chalk them up as non-existent. You can do something about #1, those are your actual missed opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Let's do the math:

If new is $1000 and old is $600 - $700 (and you don't want to be glued to the screen to watch for an offer of $500 or below), buy new!

After 10 years (15?, 20?), if you decide to sell it, you should get back $500 (ignoring the inflation factor). So you are paying a rent of $50 for its use each year, $4 a month.

Worth it?

For essential workhorses like tablesaw, Festool gear, thickness planer, etc., I always buy new. I usually get back 60 to 70% of what I paid when I resell/upgrade...

Simon

Right, but if I were of the means to buy new at $1200, I'd really rather pony up the extra 300 or so to get a supermax 19/38. I had to draw an artificial line somewhere otherwise ... well, I'd be divorced.

I am one of those guys that got #2. Sorry. Next time I will wait and let you get it. Or not. Either you contnue to wait and wait and wait. Or just pony up the money for one. I have watched Craigslist and the auction sites for way too long before finding things that met my buying criteria. Sometime you just need to adjust your buying criteria if you really want something. I do not blame the sellers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    I am in the market for a used 16/32 drum sander. Every time one comes up for sale, one of two things happen:

1. They price it in the 550-700 range and won't budge on price, or
    2. It's priced at 500 or under and I miss the sale.

It's the folks in category 1 that frustrate the beejesus out of me. Am I wrong in thinking that someone's 12-15 year old Performax 16/32 just isn't worth 600?

So $550 is too high and $500 is a bargain that gets snapped up? If that's the case I'd reconsider $550 being too high. Spending an extra $50 sounds like it will save you a lot of frustration and get you a machine that can be put to work? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I sold my PermorMIN 16/32 many years ago and never missed it for a second

good luck,
    JeffD