Thread: Shop Vac

Shop Vac

I'm looking for a shop vac that has a good seal between the canister and the lid. I don't want to be vacuuming up dust, only to have it spewing out at the canister-lid junction. Any recommendations? Thanks.

There's no positive pressure in the tank - there's actually a vacuum compared to the pressure of the outside air. So the shop vac shouldn't be spitting out swarf at that interface, even if the seal is not perfect.

If your filter is not good, or the seal at the filter is leaking, the vacuum can spit swarf out the exhaust.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike. I'll check out the filter.

Blog Entries
    If the spoil is indeed coming out the exhaust and you have a Shop Vac or a Ridgid/Craftsman, think about a Clean Stream filter. I am still running one I bought well over ten years ago. Easy to clean with water and so long lasting they pay for themselves many times over.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    The Ridgid shop vacuums present a tremendous value; great performance for a very reasonable price. Of course, they're not as nice a Festool or Fein, but if your budget is tight they're a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If the spoil is indeed coming out the exhaust and you have a Shop Vac or a Ridgid/Craftsman, think about a Clean Stream filter. I am still running one I bought well over ten years ago. Easy to clean with water and so long lasting they pay for themselves many times over.
    Glenn, that's good to know about the Clean Stream. I will have to get one of those. I do use HEPA filters, but they aren't washable & they aren't that much cheaper than the Clean Stream

Thanks for the info on the Clean Stream.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1 on the clean stream filter. The "Red Stripe" Craftsman will also fit an older Fein Turbo II.

You might check OSH they are at 15% off on vacs now. Mostly sears stuff. I did not see any cleanstream filters, just paper some hepa paper filters still on the shelf.
    Bill D

Use disposable bags in addition to a filter. You'll never do it any other way again.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Use disposable bags in addition to a filter. You'll never do it any other way again.
    That's what I do. The bags are an extra cost but not that much. When the bag is full, I throw away the whole bag and I don't have to clean the filter. Maybe after five bags, I'll blow out the filter but not much comes out.

If you want to save the swarf, maybe to put on your garden, it's easy to slit the bag and dump the stuff.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Why would a plastic bag keep the filter clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Why would a plastic bag keep the filter clean?
    Similar to this, not plastic:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-2-...on-Bag/1083199
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

There is another foam filter up inside the motor housing. You have to take out a few screws to get to it.