Thread: I Bought a No. 8

I Bought a No. 8

Haven't had much luck on weekend garage sales in re: tools
    of late so I dropped into a local antique store this afternoon.
    Spotted a No. 8 Plane. I had passed on it when the owner first got it in months ago.
    He offered then to sell it to me for $25. Tote was bad, lots of rust and I had no real
    or pressing need for it then or today. This afternoon I picked it up and went to
    front counter with it and we used a magnifying glass to look at iron.
    All you could see was S maybe a T on top line under that P
    Owner of store offered to sell it to me for $25 again. I told him
    that was a good price. For some reason I forked over the money
    and took it back to shop.

The bottom edge of lever cap is jagged; any one have any thoughts
    on an attempted JB Weld fix given that I am keeping the plane?
    Some vague instinct told me that JB Weld would be crossing some line
    I am not aware of even for clean-up of a "keeper" which hopefully will be
    used in my shop.

One observation from clean-up so far. I tried a 45 degree angle working
    with red "steel " wool and then 45 degree the other orientation.
    It really seemed to work better than long axis or 90 degree to that.
    However, I had to stop to mow front yard before dark and on return the
    black rust had "clouded" back over the trademark.
    Would anyone know if the machine screw the goes through iron, cap iron
    and lever cap is left hand thread? I am soaking it from under side with PB Blaster;
    no bigtime force has been used yet.
    Anyways, check out the patent dates that I uncovered with some work
    this evening. You'll have to trust that the second picture does show a No. 8.
    For once I was trying to focus on getting before pics. The No. 8 is somewhat
    more clear and legible to make out now.
    If anyone has an appropriate spare tote for the plane (same time period and Type No. 8)
    I would be open to purchase. If I can't get a "correct" replacement I will just make my own.
    Thanks for any input or knowledge.
    No.8 001.jpgNo.8 002.jpgNo.8 004.jpgNo.8 007.jpgNo.8 009.jpg

Nice find.

I probably would have made the same purchase.

The lever doesn't have to be pretty to function. I would just smooth any jagged bits and move on.

The clouding over you describe sounds like 'flash rust'. Basically, if you expose new metal get some oil on it quickly and that should prevent it.

I'm sure you'll get good advice from many others here. Congrats again and keep us posted.
    Last edited by David Myers; 09-13-2018 at 9:43 AM.

The rest of the tote looks pretty good, so I’d recommend going to Woodcraft and get a small piece of rosewood, glue it on top and shape it to suit. Woodcraft sells small pen blanks that have worked well for me to do that very job.

The ONLY left hand threads would have been on the bolt for the depth adjuster wheel.

Jagged edges on lever caps are from others using it as a screwdriver to remove the cap iron from the iron.

A spritz of WD40 right after any de-rusting work, will keep the bloom of rust away. An old, cheap, clean brush, with a few drops of 3in1 in it, can be rubbed all over the surfaces..and nothing keep the rust away, but adds a bit off shine. Brush can also be used to get into the nooks & crannies and help clean things up.

While you can use an impact drill/drive to remove stuck bolts ( right hand threads) there is also the very good chance you can snap the head of that bolt off...

I have a type 7 No. 8....been using for quite a while..rear handle on mine looks just the same as your...
    jointer.jpg
    One note: The rear handles on the Number 5 through number 8 are about the same Handles changed from the smaller bench planes than have no extra bolt. A bolt was added to the front edge of the larger totes, to keep the tote from twisting while in use. (nhplaneparts DOES have handles for sale)

You have an early no. 8, a Type 4 or earlier. I can't really narrow it down any more without more pictures.
    I think it would be worth more to a collector than as a user. Later improvements (lateral lever, adjustable frog) made the planes easier to use.
    My advice would be to sell it on eBay as is, and use the proceeds to buy a later type.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    Mike, cudos on the great deal.

You have an early no. 8, a Type 4 or earlier. I can't really narrow it down any more without more pictures.
    My first impression was thinking there was a little bit of lateral adjuster peeking out from under the blade. A closer examination makes me think that is a spot of paint from when like many old planes it was likely used to hold down a drop cloth.

If you do not mind setting your lateral adjustment with a few taps from a small mallet it should be a good user.

I think it would be worth more to a collector than as a user.
    There are not many collectors who will put a high value on a rusty old plane. Of course my being wrong is possible.

The tote is an easy fix. The lever cap may be fine or it could need replacement. A picture would help. Also to better date your plane a picture with the blade and lever cap removed would help.

If it is a type 4, the blade is a replacement, not an uncommon occurrence.

One of my planes is a #6 type 4. It is a fine user when needed.

Also if it is an early type the blade adjustment is right hand thread. This means you turn it left to increase the depth of cut and right to retract the blade. If this is the case there will be a couple of patent dates stamped inside the brass adjuster.

My #7 currently shares a similar story:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

It is a great user today.

One last thing, take a look at completed listings on ebay to get an idea what a replacement plane of that size is going to set you back. The #8 is not a common size.

Good deals do not come along every day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Folks
    Sincere Thanks for input
    David M. I agree with your suggestion about getting oil over newly exposed metal (or even a deeper layer of rust)

Bruce H. Would prefer a replacement. The front end of tote is a little flaky. Might try an add-on mend with some sort
    of mini-spline

Steven N. Using lever cap as a screwdriver; this must be the same people that use the noble hand plane as a paint stripper

Jim K. There is no lateral adjuster; and this is borne out by the Pat. Dates inside the Brass Depth Adjustment Wheel per
    your post.-Bailey's Patent Aug. 1850 & Aug. 1867 (This is from memory and so far I haven't been able clean up in there well enough to bring the days of the month out clearly. Been going very easy on this part because of the Brass.)

Included pic of front knob because I thought it is a little strange in re: the "bead" on the knob is really just a light score mark. Knob is 2-1/8" Height and 1-7/8" Diam. Well, thanks again for replies. The plane is marinating in oil until I can get some time and look into finding a piece of Rosewood. Got to get the letterpress side of my shop back into gear after I clean benches up from rust dust stains.

No.8Batch2 001.jpgNo.8Batch2 002.jpgNo.8Batch2 003.jpg

Blog Entries
    Got to get the letterpress side of my shop back into gear after I clean benches up from rust dust stains.
    In high school, one of my shop classes was print shop on an old hand operated letter press. It was usually a class of one. Two when a new recruit entered the class. There wasn't really a teacher. It was in a little room off of a drafting classroom. The drafting teacher was our assigned adult.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice find! I have been on the lookout for a no 8 for awhile, just have not stumbled across one in the price range I wanted. I would have bought that one for sure.