Thread: Looking for Spray Finisher Options

Looking for Spray Finisher Options

I'm seeking advice regarding a sprayer for applying Lacquer to my Segmented Turnings, I do a lot of Ornaments and other relatively small boxes along with a couple of 10" to 12" bowls a month. I'm currently using 5 to 10 rattle cans of lacquer a month ...

Does it make sense to look at an entry level sprayer of some sort ?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by Tim Boger; 09-12-2018 at 7:23 PM.

Here's the challenge with moving away from spray bombs for that kind of small work...you'll want to gang up the projects to spray a bunch at one time simply because of the need to clean your gun which while not a hard task, is something you don't want to have to do frequently when the job is small. I have an decent HVLP conversion gun that I use for furniture and cabinetry projects, but still tend to pull out the rattle cans for small stuff simply because it's less labor and doesn't waste finish. Even for the sign making I'm now doing, most spray work is with aerosol cans for convenience.

The other aspect is going to be what type of gun will best serve you for the small workpieces you state you tend to produce. The gun I use, which is a typical value priced tool (Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun) has a fairly wide spray pattern under most operating circumstances. I suspect I'd want something much smaller for craft work to avoid wasting a lot of finish or having to tighten up the pattern so much that I'd have to shoot from too far away to do a good job. You could try a smaller gravity feed HVPL conversion gun with your compressor and see if it will work for you.

BTW, be careful that you have proper ventilation and personal safety gear if you are using solvent based lacquer...it'd not only explosive, it's also not good for "fauna" including humans.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-12-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For your small items... I would consider the HF or other knockoff version of the Badger 400 detail/ touch up gun.

I have the Badger and love it.

W nitro.. probably will be just fine.. very low maintenance.. to just dump out remainder, partially refill and spray, rinse, repeat and put away.

I think you can get one for like $20, worth the try.

I usually thin Nitro roughly around 2:1... 2 cups nitro, one cup Lac thinner.

Myself, personally, spray Nitro in the driveway, IMO, for me, no need for even any mask.

Graco HVLP conversion gun.

I spray full sized pieces, outdoors, fumes seem to dissipate so quickly, I never barely get a whiff.

Some will chastise me, but I'm fine.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 09-12-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Thank you Marc, I'll do some research on your suggestion.

Tim - this gun will output approximately same as your spray cans.

ROUGHLY - same size overall pattern, similar same volume.

So, my point is... however you currently use your cans.. venting... mask or not.. this will be like the same.

Advantages will be - Ability to thin as desired... ability to add retarder, tints, etc... cheaper per ounce matl costs...and adjustable spray pattern diameter and fan shape orientation - horiz to vertical.

Ballpark speaking, YMMV.. if a week or less between uses.. then just rinse through w thinner, leave a few tablespoons in gun .. when ready to use again, FIRST shoot that thinner through, some anyway to show pattern.. then add your mix and spray.

If longer than a week or two.. you will probably still be fine w thoroughly washing out the gun w about 1/4 cup of thinner, 3 times, shaking it around abit to wash the cup, spraying it iut, and leaving a few tablespoons for storage.

Works for me w basic Nitro, NO Cating of any sort in my case.

CAT of anysort I assume will have more stringent cleaning needs.

And, of course.. most other finishes, as they do not re dissolve any plugging.

I love just plain Nitro.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 09-12-2018 at 8:36 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

This really is a regular spray gun, designed for spraying small things. The container system is Sata's RPS, which is sort of like the 3M PPS system. I want one, but in reality, for spraying small things, I would probably use my old Binks 15. This is the high priced spread-Sata 4400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_hr8lSrUro

Tom - with quick Googling, the Binks 15 you speak of seems to be the "equivalent" of my Badger ?

Marc

Badger 400 - https://www.google.com/search?q=badg...iw=581&bih=610

Yeah, it looks sort of like that. I bought mine new in the late 1960's for spraying gelcoat, and still use it for that, as well as other things. A tornado hit a shop I had in 1988, and that gun was one of the things that got thrown out. Some part on the casting got broken, but I still use it, and it can still spray a perfect finish.

Yup, I love using mine.

The ONLY drawback on it is.. IF you are using it w a fast dry finsh, like Nitro, one is limited to size of workpieces, due to having to keep a "Wet edge" w a smaller volume and size pattern.

I did a bunch of new door jambs inside a new home w Nitro, using this gun.

The 6'+ length was no problem, but ONLY because of the narrow jamb width.

If you understand what I mean.

Spraying is possibly my most enjoyed part of a project.

Literally like a Ballet... and constantly learning how to approach a project.. learning every time.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 09-12-2018 at 9:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Literally like a Ballet... and constantly learning how to approach a project.. learning every time.

Marc
    Note to all, this guy is really learning how to spray the right way. You use your whole body and all your senses. Get that idea and the equipment you have is secondary. Keep up the good work, Marc.

The ballet analogy is a new one to me but apt, despite what appears in the mirror whenever I look... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I use a lot of spray lacquer on products that I carve and sell. I also spray a lot of polyurethane too, depending on the item. I have a good HVLP conversion gun and I know how to use it but I seldom do. I prefer to use rattle cans for the convenience and lack of cleanup. I use a lot of cans too but it is just the cost of doing business.

The chance came up today to play around with some mini guns. I remembered this thread. If I really had the use for one, I'd buy an Iwata LPH80. For an entry level gun, the ANI R150 would be the gun to get. You can find one online with a PPS adapter for $165. That Iwata gun is about 300. Google can find plenty of videos of either of them. That Iwata gun operates at lower air pressure, so there is a lot less overspray. Both do a really fine job, and handle nicely.

If I was going to spray the same thing most of the time, I'd just keep a PPS cup set up with the solvent in it for cleaning.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-19-2018 at 5:10 PM.