Thread: Need to hire skilled woodworker in ohio to mfr CCF composites for Aston Martin. etc

Need to hire skilled woodworker in ohio to mfr CCF composites for Aston Martin. etc

Likely not a good place to start, but hey. I recently perfected my machineable composites line of dichroic and patent pending carbon fiber laminates, and the top knifemakers and gun dealers are using it in handles and gun grips. So much so that I am swamped with orders for sheets, and somehow Aston Martin found me and are evaluating this stuff for their car interior trim. My primary bill paying work comes from laminating exotic textured dichroic glass (which is how these CF products came about), and am swamped with orders for a good six months, so I finally can pay someone.

I need to ramp up production of the Chatoyant Carbon Fiber line for several top companies like Martin Guitar and some wholesaling knife handle suppliers, not to mention what might come from Aston Martin. I manufacture the CCF entirely from my facility near Cleveland, OH where I take master rolls of unidirectional carbon fiber and cut it, stack it, pre-lam it, then heat it and press it into molds that I designed and CNC milled into real wood figure like Quilt, Flame, and Wild Ribbon Flame.
    The finished pressed panels then need to be processed in an identical way as processing highly figured wood - lots of tearout potential, so I need someone experienced with figured wood. It gets surfaced in my thickness sander with 40 grit, successively through 180 grit, then panels are squared and cut with wet diamond. Then much of my business is fabricating samples and gun grips with this CCF, which requires a skilled craftsman to shape and polish on my diamond lap. Then successive polishing.

Need someone that is fluent in decimal and preferably metric as well. Most work will be layup and manufacturing of CCF, resin pouring of exotic interleaf layers, pretreatments of metallic interleafs, cutting samples and laminating glass. I have two custom made 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens which aren't too hard to operate. Packing and shipping is about 20% of all work as well.

If not you, maybe you can refer to someone in northern ohio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCF-Collage.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	393174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Opal-as-Dichrolam.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	393178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-WRF-copper-clsp.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	393180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE-WRF-Plat-Folded.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	393181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFQuilt-Medrez-full.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	393175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFCF-Fingerboards-veneer-txt.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	393176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800352-maverick-pro-lava-flow-1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	393177
    Mfr of Dichrolam® and Chatoyant Carbon Fiber™ (Quilted, Flame, Fiddleback, Anglestep etc in solid and veneer stock).
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, 480 F hot butyl gun made from a caulk gun, heat tape and a 24 oz beer can - performs like a $3000.00 system for 40 bucks, and I got to drink the beer.
    Accuspray guns, and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Cannot help John, but wanted to say congratulations, it sounds like the hard work is paying off.

Same here, John. I’m so glad to hear the orders are pouring in. Keep in mind, what you do is unique. Likely not a lot of folks experienced in the materials and processes you do. May need to offer training. But, in the end, it’s a good problem to have. Wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Same here, John. I’m so glad to hear the orders are pouring in. Keep in mind, what you do is unique. Likely not a lot of folks experienced in the materials and processes you do. May need to offer training. But, in the end, it’s a good problem to have. Wish you the best.
    Thanks Phil! Thanks for always keeping track of my developments. I always train my guys. Problem is that most are untrainable, sometimes due to poor eyesight, no experience in detail oriented fabrication (most default to the "ship it" mentality to be fast and look productive, but do shit work) or other issues not entirely their fault. It costs me tens of thousands of dollars to train someone, because I am at half productivity level myself during training phase, always looking out for them to make sure they don't screw something up, for at least six months, so I simply resolved to work by myself the last three years. I wish I could find a version of myself when I was in my twenties and thirties. I would have paid $ to work for someone like me now, just for the experience. And no, interns don't work either - they are whiny millennials that look at their phone all day, unless they have a few years experience.
    Mfr of Dichrolam® and Chatoyant Carbon Fiber™ (Quilted, Flame, Fiddleback, Anglestep etc in solid and veneer stock).
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, 480 F hot butyl gun made from a caulk gun, heat tape and a 24 oz beer can - performs like a $3000.00 system for 40 bucks, and I got to drink the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Cannot help John, but wanted to say congratulations, it sounds like the hard work is paying off.
    Thank you so much! Not from my wife's point of view though. She told me to quit several years ago. Our love is stronger than out financial viewpoints, so she's starting to come around.

Impressive pictures and neat description. Wish I could check out your operation in person!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Glad to see an update on your magic. I don't think its possible for it to get tiresome or outdated. Really beautiful stuff.

Impressive stuff John. It's easy to see why you have created such overwhelming interest in your product. I'd love to see your operation someday as well. My daughter lives on the west side of Cleveland. Avon area. While there are people with the skills to do the quality and probably quantity you need most are already in good jobs and reluctant to change. I hope you find someone to assist though. I think you have only just began to see the fruit of your labors.

I would think you need to go towards eliminating as much of the hand shaping as possible, as it seems like production quantity might hit a limit pretty quickly, and sounds like the demand is just taking off. How about someone who can does CAD, with shaping done with CNC's? You might want to look for some investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Glad to see an update on your magic. I don't think its possible for it to get tiresome or outdated. Really beautiful stuff.
    Thanks Mel! I appreciate your input in all the posts from you over the years. Its both outdated and ahead of its time, depending on how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Impressive stuff John. It's easy to see why you have created such overwhelming interest in your product. I'd love to see your operation someday as well. My daughter lives on the west side of Cleveland. Avon area. While there are people with the skills to do the quality and probably quantity you need most are already in good jobs and reluctant to change. I hope you find someone to assist though. I think you have only just began to see the fruit of your labors.
    Yes, that is why I have resolved to work alone all these years, because the best guys are already running their own business, or working for a big comfortable company with all the benefits, and for me to keep a good worker requires either years of training to invest in someone young that will leave anyway, or commit to paying a guy $50 - 60K minimum per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I would think you need to go towards eliminating as much of the hand shaping as possible, as it seems like production quantity might hit a limit pretty quickly, and sounds like the demand is just taking off. How about someone who can does CAD, with shaping done with CNC's? You might want to look for some investors.
    Hand work will always be part of the process, at the minimum in sampling, but you have a great point, and I appreciate that - to minimize the laborious aspects. I am currently polishing one long edge of certain carbon fiber sample runs so that the prospective customer sees how amazing the stuff looks when shaped / polished. I need to eliminate that step at the risk of folks writing off the product because it looks crappy in the "rough". Samples right off my thicknesser look OK, but when even a 1/4" of the edge is polished it looks like a million bucks.

I have come this far without investors and I hate to give up ten to twenty percent of my equity for the rest of my entire business life for a measly hundred grand that only gets you half a year of marketing capital and half a year of staff salary just to penetrate faster. Not writing off investors though, as they are valuable in ways you can't foresee. I have worked for companies that milked investor $ to then drive the company into the ground because sales and marketing mouths wrote checks that tech guys butts (me) couldn't cash. And investors only listen to sales and marketing, not production / tech.