Thread: Rockwell 62-223

Rockwell 62-223

I’m in need of a jointer and have been watching CL for awhile now looking for options. Finally saw one today. It is a Rockwell/Delta 62-223 6 in model. I can’t find any info on this model online.

Anyone know anything about this jointer? Is it any good? Seller is asking $800 which seems high to me.

Thanks!
    Scott

IMHO, $800 for a jointer that's largely only suitable for edges because of the narrow width is too much money, regardless of the name plate on it. Straightening edges is certainly an important task, but being able to flatten faces is even more valuable when it comes to preparing lumber for great joinery. But that's just one person's opinion. That said, I suspect that $800 is way high for something like that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rockwell/Delta 6" jointers typically bring $250 to $500 in the used market in my area. And more clustered around the bottom of that range. Clones for even less. That said, the 6" jointer is pretty limited in what it can do ... Jim nails it pretty well. The PM 8" machine is a pretty versatile tool with longer beds, excellent machining and some facing capability. While not used often today, I learned to cut rabbets using that jointer. That would be a minimum jointer spec from my perspective.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I’ve been debating 6in vs 8in. Obviously, 8in is better, but 6in is smaller. My shop is roughly 11x23 ft, so I was leaning more towards 6in to save space. Sounds like that may be a decision that I would regret.

I just sold a Powermatic 6” jointer for $300. $800 is ridiculous, you should be able to find a nice 8” for that price - I sold my Shop Fox 8” parallelogram bed jointer for $750 I think.

My shop is 17x17 and have a 12” jointer. It takes up basically the same footprint as my 8” did, which really isn’t much more than a longbed 6” - or at least its very worthy of the extra couple SF.

As Matt says ... the 12" doesn't take much more footprint. It is a slippery slope.

But an 8" is versatile. I don't have one in the shop now (a 16") but even with the larger option available I'd likely use the 8" if I had it. A weakness of the standard Rockwell/Delta 6" even for edging, is stability. Matt's post reminded me that there is a long bed parallelogram Delta 6" (37-150). That would theoretically solve the stability issue. To Matts point, it is probably about the same size as the 8".
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pagington View Post
    I’ve been debating 6in vs 8in. Obviously, 8in is better, but 6in is smaller. My shop is roughly 11x23 ft, so I was leaning more towards 6in to save space. Sounds like that may be a decision that I would regret.
    Initially, you wouldn't be regretting having a nice jointer. Long term, you might find the narrower machine holding you back from doing certain things that have been mentioned. But yes...it's a slippery slope....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...