Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new machine. Recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    https://www.bodor.com/Fiber_Laser/Pl...09-27/335.html <<web page linky to:

this is exactly what you're looking for -- found some conflicting info on power for this machine, one place says 500/1000/1500watt, to the linked page they quote 1000/1500/2000watt power...
    600x600mm work area, so it ain't huge... Bodor is at least a 'heard of' laser company... I'm sure the worst part of this machine would be the price...

Jus' trying to help

>>edit<< -- that little Cosmo looks interesting, I would assume it's built better than their website Some missing info too, gas assist y/n? Laser power would be good to know too... Depending on what you're doing exactly it may be a good fit... I've heard of Cosmo- or more accurately, I've seen their name around over the years. And I would think any company going to the trouble of building such an animal wouldn't exactly be a fly-by-night operation...

Anyway, found this Bodor vid on their page--

I've seen that one! Still too big for me, I think. Though it may be what I actually need.

And look at this....https://jpn.gwklaser.com/marking/LR150.html

Is that a 150w fiber galvo? I believe that there are several members here with G*Weike lasers so at least they are known too. Not sure of their reputation though. And it says it uses a Rofin source? That's usually $$$$$

Nevermind 10640nm wavelength = CO2
    Last edited by Jacob John; 09-21-2018 at 9:12 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

So no one has any other recommendations?

I'm open to whatever would make this process more efficient, especially cutting brass. Are Yags better at cutting than fibers? The are quite a few at decent prices used on Ebay and other sites.

I spoke to Roland and asked about their MDX-540 mill, and that said it's a no-go on cutting metal.

I'm really at a loss. Surely, those gigantic flatbed fibers and CO2's aren't the only options out there for efficiently cutting 1mm and less sheet metal.

And I find it strange that I can't get a single laser manufacturer to give me test times on their 100W systems so that I can compare it to my 50W.

Blog Entries
    Here's a cube 600x600mm but nothing at all on the power it produces. http://www.cnclaserlm.com/P-series-h...pd6937960.html
    But they do show some intricate metal cutting. Don't know anything about these guys.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

From what I've gathered-- Yag's are tempermental, finicky, prone to breakdown, require a LOT more electronic stuff than fiber, all making them very costly, AND supposedly it's now 'old technology'.. someone posted up a week or so ago about picking up a Yag for cheap, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

One of my customers is in the same sort of boat, he needs to cut like 90 hexagon holes, about .2", into 20 gauge 304 stainless, lots of times. Right now he's machining them, and HATES it. He can build his own gantry setup to steer a laser beam, but he can't find a laser source (or I should say, I can't find a source ) ... I don't know enough about them to be of much help
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Here's a cube 600x600mm but nothing at all on the power it produces. http://www.cnclaserlm.com/P-series-h...pd6937960.html
    But they do show some intricate metal cutting. Don't know anything about these guys.

Thanks John. I've seen a few like this one. I honestly think it's one or two plants in China manufacturing these styles because they are all over Ebay. I'm concerned about the lack of name recognition. And none of the U.S. companies with China lasers offer anything like a small desktop gantry fiber.

From what I've gathered-- Yag's are tempermental, finicky, prone to breakdown, require a LOT more electronic stuff than fiber, all making them very costly, AND supposedly it's now 'old technology'.. someone posted up a week or so ago about picking up a Yag for cheap, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

One of my customers is in the same sort of boat, he needs to cut like 90 hexagon holes, about .2", into 20 gauge 304 stainless, lots of times. Right now he's machining them, and HATES it. He can build his own gantry setup to steer a laser beam, but he can't find a laser source (or I should say, I can't find a source ) ... I don't know enough about them to be of much help
    I would build one too if I knew how! If he ever figures it out, and it's safe, I'd love to see if he can replicate it, and would be willing to pay! I see fiber sources all over Ebay, but it's for smaller wattage fibers. Nothing in the range that we're looking for though.

I see Yags all over the place for pennies on the dollar relative to their fiber counterparts. I'm ALMOST willing to buy one to see, but I don't want to waste money. And I've read that Yags can cut metal much easier than fibers because the pulse is more focused and the immediate higher wattage output really digs into the metal in such a small area. I have no idea if that's true or not.
    CorelDraw X7

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

that many holes that many times is exactly where a turret punch press shines; faster than any laser can do it

https://www.bodor.com/Fiber_Laser/Pl...09-27/335.html <<web page linky to:

Attachment 393662

this is exactly what you're looking for -- found some conflicting info on power for this machine, one place says 500/1000/1500watt, to the linked page they quote 1000/1500/2000watt power...
    600x600mm work area, so it ain't huge... Bodor is at least a 'heard of' laser company... I'm sure the worst part of this machine would be the price...

Jus' trying to help

>>edit<< -- that little Cosmo looks interesting, I would assume it's built better than their website Some missing info too, gas assist y/n? Laser power would be good to know too... Depending on what you're doing exactly it may be a good fit... I've heard of Cosmo- or more accurately, I've seen their name around over the years. And I would think any company going to the trouble of building such an animal wouldn't exactly be a fly-by-night operation...

Anyway, found this Bodor vid on their page--

I missed this edit. So you've heard of COSMO? The system can use air assist, oxygen, etc. It's a 500W fiber, I think. i never noticed that it didn't list that. Too many searches!
    CorelDraw X7

[QUOTE=Brennan Sheremeto;2852067]that many holes that many times is exactly where a turret punch press shines; faster than any laser can do it[/QUOT

Yeah, but..

holes.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Ok, I have another crazy idea. What about having someone build me a desktop gantry like that COSMO? Is that too crazy/unsafe of an idea? Or would it be cost prohibitive in comparison? I need a small cutting area, no larger than 12"x12". I found these guys --> http://www.autolase.com/large_enclosure.html
    CorelDraw X7

This is kind of useless because I can't remember who it was, but I got a cold call from some guy in California, whose company dealt with laser 'solutions', we talked about my Fiber (it was right after I'd gotten it)- we discussed building a gantry that would accept a galvo scan head, the purpose being to expand the useful working area to 24 x 36", whereas I could fiber laser the operator panels I build in one shot; the machine would engrave in sections based on the lens, such as a 5"x5" area blocks using a 150mm lens, and software- which they would supply- would coordinate all the 'stitching'... Such a machine could engrave in 90 seconds what my C02's take 4 or 5 minutes to do. Cost would be around $3500-ish depending, I would supply the laser obviously...

Problem is, I didn't take down his info, and he's never called back!
    -- not sure if this guy is still in business, I'm assuming not, IMO companies such as this who cold-call potential customers aren't long for the biz world

So anyway, this is just to say that I'm sure there are people/places out there who could build you what you need, locating them is the problem!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I just spoke to a rep from the one I linked and he's consulting with his engineers to come up with an idea. Sounded pretty optimistic about it. I'm just worried about price. Though I'd think it might ne cheaper, from a raw materials side, smaller footprint. We'll see!

12. [QUOTE=Kev Williams;2852295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan Sheremeto View Post
    that many holes that many times is exactly where a turret punch press shines; faster than any laser can do it[/QUOT

Yeah, but..

holes.jpg
    punched then throw it through a 3 roll? I can't tell if its all one piece or not

Jacob, I know that many thin metal pieces with intricate patterns are made with photo chemical etching. I got my wife a necklace with city streets on it (like the maps made with lasers) and it was etched. I haven't taken my calipers to it but it would be 1mm.
    this is the process and might be better/cheap/easier for your application
    https://www.uweinc.com/advantages-ph...l-etching.html

[QUOTE=Brennan Sheremeto;2852503]
    punched then throw it through a 3 roll? I can't tell if its all one piece or not

Jacob, I know that many thin metal pieces with intricate patterns are made with photo chemical etching. I got my wife a necklace with city streets on it (like the maps made with lasers) and it was etched. I haven't taken my calipers to it but it would be 1mm.
    this is the process and might be better/cheap/easier for your application
    https://www.uweinc.com/advantages-ph...l-etching.html
    Thanks Brennan. I noticed in reading a few articles, most don't recommend chemical etching out of the home based business due to the toxic chemicals used. However, I see electro etching mentioned. Odd though that I don't see any mention of speeds. I also read that electro isn't really meant for mass production. Not sure if that's accurate. I need the process to be efficient.
    CorelDraw X7

14. [QUOTE=Jacob John;2852512]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan Sheremeto View Post

Thanks Brennan. I noticed in reading a few articles, most don't recommend chemical etching out of the home based business due to the toxic chemicals used. However, I see electro etching mentioned. Odd though that I don't see any mention of speeds. I also read that electro isn't really meant for mass production. Not sure if that's accurate. I need the process to be efficient.
    I can't offer anything about efficiency but I think most of those warnings are for people who are making jewelry at home. With the amount of lasers in your signature you are running a business that happens to be at your house, not necessarily a "home business" in the sense they mean. Obviously proper safety ect, but I have seen guys doing high quality aluminum anodizing at home and that isn't the nicest mix of chemicals required.

[QUOTE=Brennan Sheremeto;2852503]
    It's 1-1/4" diameter 304 SS tube-- He's tried making them from flat, doesn't work well enough to suit him...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter